Chapter 24: The Reichenbach Resonance (Part 3)

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter may contain content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, self-harm and suicide, graphic violence, sexual assault, strong language and more.

Please be mindful of these sensitive themes and other possible triggers. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

 Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading

LORELEI

"What are you looking at?" Jamie asked before rolling her eyes. Nauna siya ng ilang hakbang sa akin. She did not want to walk at the same pace as me. That must be her way of expressing that we were not on the same level.

"Nothing. I thought there was a dirt on your face." I averted my gaze as we reached the landing on the ground floor. Everything seemed peaceful here. Nagtatawanan pa ang mga estudyanteng nakasalubong namin sa hallway. Ang hindi nila alam, ilang minuto mula ngayon, baka mabura na ang ngiti sa kanilang mga labi.

As we were about to exit the high school building, I sensed a threatening glare from someone, sending shivers down my spine. Agad akong tumalikod at lumingon sa kaliwa't kanan, hinahanap kung saan galing ang kakaibang pakiramdam na 'yon. Either I was only imagining it or someone was glaring daggers at me with their piercing eyes.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Maging si Jamie, napahinto sa paglalakad. Bakas ang pagkairita sa mukha niya.

For the last time, iginala ko ang aking mga mata sa paligid, pero wala akong napansing kahina-hinala. If someone was watching me, they must be hiding behind the pillars. This reminded me of what I felt more than a month ago. I got the same shivering feeling when Loki and I were investigating Stein's disappearance. After rescuing him in the abandoned building, I saw a silhouette of a guy staring back at me. That shadow's face was revealed at the hospital where Loki was rushed after drinking belladonna.

Could it be the same person following me before? Was he connected to Moriarty?

"Bahala ka nga riyan kung gusto mong tumunganga!" reklamo ni Jamie bago siya tumuloy sa paglalakad. Nauna na siya sa isa pang school building sa harapan namin.

I shook my head and followed her lead. Considering the critical situation, wala kaming panahon para ma-distract. Kailangan naming mag-focus sa paghahanap sa bomba.

The library was unusually packed this morning. Dati kasi, parang sinehan ito kung saan showing ang isang flop na movie—nilalangaw. Ngayon, puno ang mga upuan at mesa ng mga estudyanteng subsob sa mga librong binabasa nila. Malamang inutusan sila ng kanilang mga teacher na pumunta rito para magsagawa ng research.

This was good for the library, but this was bad for us. If a bomb went off at twelve noon, everyone in this building would become casualties and the death toll might rise. If we told them to leave now, the bomber might set off the bomb and we would be caught in the explosion.