Chapter 8

Previously on Chapter 7

Now I know his secret. He's not immune... I can't believe it... it kills me to know that I'm slowly losing him. He's turning... and I can't do anything to stop it. My power isn't strong enough to heal this virus infection.

Newt... what can I do? I can't lose you...

-Looking For Answers-

Y/N P.O.V

Ever since I found out that Newt isn't an immune, I try my hardest to keep him feeling comfortable. I don't want him to be too stressed out, because it'll quicken the virus spreading inside him.

Newt is doing something, so I have to wait inside our shared tent for him. But I got bored after waiting for quite some time, so I decide to take a walk. I stand up and walk out of the tent. Then start walking around the camp. I reach a cliff and decide to take a seat whilst enjoying the soft breeze.

I sit there for a while, just staring off the cliff. There's a fence around it so I wouldn't have to worry about falling off. Even if I do fall off, I have air bending to help me slow my fall.

As I'm sitting there, deep in thought... the sound of footsteps snaps me out of my thought. I turn around to see Brenda, as she stands there staring down at me. I remember how she recovers after being bitten by the cranks.

I still wonder how she manage to recover. All I know is that... they use Thomas's blood to make a serum. But until now, there's no sign of her changing. It's like... she's never been bitten at all.

"Hey..." she said, giving me a soft smile. I smile back at her. "Hey, Brenda..." I said. "Mind if I join you?" She asks. "Not at all... go ahead..." I said. She smiles and take a seat next to me.

"So... how's Newt?" She asks, after a few moment of silence. I turn to her to see her staring at me with a worried gaze. "He's doing fine... I guess... I just hope that I can find a way to help him... it... it h-hurts me s-so much to k-know that I m-might lose him to the virus..." I said, my voice breaking a little as I said the last sentence.

Brenda stares at me with a soft gaze. I didn't realize I was crying until she hands me a handkerchief. I take it from her, mumbling a soft thanks. I wipe the tears that have streamed down my cheeks, only for more tears to flow like an endless waterfall. I let out a soft sigh, giving up to try to wipe them up. I just hand the handkerchief back to Brenda.

She rubs my back softly. She smiles softly. "It'll be okay, Y/N... I'm sure we'll find a way to save him..." she said. I give her a sad smile. I really hope we will, I can't lose Newt... I love him so much. He meant so much to me.

I heard footsteps behind me and turn around. Newt is standing there. I quickly wipe my tears. I don't want him to see me crying. It'll worry him even more.

He turns and looks at me. Then he walks towards me. "There you are, Love... I've been looking everywhere for you..." he said. "Sorry... I just got bored and decided to walk around..." I said, trying to keep my voice steady. But I know I failed when I see his frown.

He kneels in front of me and cup my cheeks gently. "Have you been crying?" He said, worry is evident in his eyes. "N-No..." I said. "You're bad at lying..." he said. "You just know me well..." I said. He let out a soft chuckle "yeah... I guess I do..." he said. Then he pulls me into a hug.

"I know you're crying because of me, right?" He said in a low tone. I bit my lip, trying to hold myself back from crying once more. He place a hand on my head, caressing it gently. "I'm so sorry... for making you worry so much about me, love..." he said. I choke a sob and clutch his shirt tightly. He just stay silent as he held me in his arms.

'I don't wanna lose you, Newt... I can't... I love you so much' I thought to myself, burying my face in the crook of his neck. Slowly, exhaustion from crying so much consumes me. I start to drift off to sleep.

Newt P.O.V

I keep holding onto Y/N, as she cries. I caress her hair softly. I bit my lip, trying not to cry. I need to be strong for my girl. My heart clenches painfully in my chest, knowing that I'm the reason behind her tears.

I'm so sorry, love... I've caused you so much pain like this. Sometimes I hope that you don't love me... as much as it hurts me to say this. I can't help to think that... maybe you'd be happier with Thomas... but some part of me wants you to always be mine... to keep you close with me... because right now... you're the only person that kept me sane.

I heard a soft snore coming from her. I look down to see she have fallen asleep. I smile sadly as I stare at her tear-stained face. I gently wipe the remaining tears and place a soft kiss on her forehead. "I'm so sorry, love..." I whispers as quite as I can, to not wake her up.

I turn to Brenda and smile at her. "Thank you for keeping my girl company..." I said. She smiles at me "she loves you so much, Newt... you gotta be strong for her..." she said. I nod my head "I know..." I said. I move my hand under her knees and one on her back. Then I stand up with her in my arms. I look down at Brenda "see ya later, B..." I said. She nods her head, then I turn around and start walking back towards our shared tent.

I have to look for answers to fight this virus... I have to... I can't afford hurting Y/N more than she already have

*to be continued*