Chapter 9

Previously on Chapter 8

I turn to Brenda and smile at her. "Thank you for keeping my girl company..." I said. She smiles at me "she loves you so much, Newt... you gotta be strong for her..." she said. I nod my head "I know..." I said. I move my hand under her knees and one on her back. Then I stand up with her in my arms. I look down at Brenda "see ya later, B..." I said. She nods her head, then I turn around and start walking back towards our shared tent.

I have to look for answers to fight this virus... I have to... I can't afford hurting Y/N more than she already have

-I'm Counting On You-

Y/N P.O.V

When I wake up, I realize I'm laying in the bed in our shared tent. Newt must have carried me here. But where is he?

I walk out of the tent and look around, trying to locate him. But I don't see him anywhere. 'He's probably have something to do... don't worry, Y/N. He's doing fine...' I thought as I try to reassure myself.

I walk back inside the tent, deciding to wait for him to come back. I don't want him to go around looking for me. I don't wanna worry him. It's not good for his mind.

I stare at the ceiling of the tent. Then I start to feel sleepy once again. I close my eyes, giving in to the drowsiness. I start to drift off to sleep.

Meanwhile

Newt P.O.V

I'm sitting by the cliff, as I stare into the distance. It's just my body here, my mind is wondering around.

'What will happen when I turned... how will Y/N be when I'm gone...' questions after questions kept on coming inside my mind. But of course, there are no answers. Which makes me feel so frustrated.

A sound of footsteps snaps me out of my thought. I turn around to see Thomas coming towards me. He takes a seat next to me. "Hey Newt..." he said. I just smile at him, then stare forward again.

"How is she? Is she doing okay?" He asks. A frown made its way to my face after hearing his question. Even when he said he don't, I know that he still have feelings for Y/N. "Yeah... she's doing okay..." I said. Then there's a moment of silent.

"Hey Tommy..." I said. "Yeah?" He respond. "Have I ever told you how I broke my leg?" I asks. He shook his head. I open my mouth and begin telling him. How I jump off the vines wall back in the glade. He stays silent as he listens.

"That's until I met Y/N... she has always been there through my hardest time... and what I do for her? Nothing, Tommy... NOTHING..." I said in a low tone. I stare up at the sky. "All I ever gave her is pain. All I ever do is make her shed tears..." I said. Then I turn my head to look at Thomas.

"I don't deserve her, Tommy... I wish that she don't love me... she would have been much happier if she's with you... if she chose you from the start, she won't feel any pain, like she always have with me... and now, instead of making her happy... I made her worry for my condition, as I slowly turns into a crank..." I said, pulling up my sleeve as I stare at my vein as it turns black.

"I try to let her go... but I can't... she's the only one who made me feel like I'm someone worthy..." I said. "Newt... we'll find a way to help you... okay? Don't think like that anymore..." he said. I just stare at him with a sad smile.

"Tommy... when I'm gone..." he cuts me off. "You're not going anywhere, Newt..." He said. "Let me finish, you shank!" I scream. He jumps at my sudden outburst. "sorry..." I mumble. I let out a sigh as I run my hand through my hair. "Just... promise me one thing, Tommy..." I said. He just stare at me waiting for me to continue.

"When I'm gone... you'll take care of her... you're the only one I trust when it comes to Y/N, because I know how much you care for her..." I said. He just stays silent as he stare at me. "Promise me, Tommy. Please..." I plead. "I... I promise..." he said, in a low tone but loud enough for me to hear.

Thomas P.O.V

"Thank you... I'm counting on you Tommy... I leave her to you after I'm not around..." he said. He move to stand up. "I better get going, I don't want her to start worrying about me..." I said. I just nod my head slowly. He smiles at me and turn around to leave.

I look down after he's out of sight. I look down in despair. 'As much as I want Y/N to be with me... I can't lose Newt... he's my best friend... and I don't want Y/N to be upset... he means so much to her... I have to find a way to fix this...' I thought to myself.

Time-skip

Newt P.O.V

I reach our shared tent, I crouch down and enter the tent. My eyes soften when I see her sleeping. I smile and scoot closer to her, moving to lay down next to her.

I stare at her sleeping face. 'Gosh... I love you so much... you're the only good thing that's ever happened to me... I'm so sorry that all I've ever done for you is giving you pain...' I thought to myself as tears begin to stream down my cheeks.

Right at that moment, her eyes flutter open. I wipe my tears as fast as I can, before she can see them. I don't want to worry her even more.

Y/N P.O.V

When I open my eyes, I was greeted by Newt. He wipes his face. That's when I notice the tears on his cheeks. I frown slightly and stop his hand. "Don't... just let out if you have to, Newt..." I said. He stare at me, then burst into more tears.

I reach out and pull him closer. He lay his face on my chest, I caress his hair and back softly. I wait for him to calm down.

Once he did, he pulls away and look up at me. "I-I'm s-so sorry, l-love..." he said, in a broken voice. I wipe his tears. "Why?" I asks. "All I ever done is gave you pain... I never made you happy" he said. I frown and shake my head. "No, Newt... don't say that... that's not true... yes you do... you made me happy just by being you... I love you as who you are... and I always will..." I said, kissing his forehead softly. He chokes a sob and pulls me into a kiss. I know that my lips will turn blue but I don't care. I can feel his pain, sadness and fear.

He pulls away and place his forehead against mine. I caress his cheek softly. "I love you, Y/N... Gosh, I love you so much..." he said. "I love you too, Newt..." I said. He snuggles his face in the crook of my neck, arms wrapped tightly around my waist. I smile and caress his hair. I wait until he's asleep and close my eyes. A tear escape my eye and I wipe it away. I need to be strong for Newt.

It pains me to see you like this... and it pains me more to know that I can't do a thing to help

*to be continued*