Chapter 26.5: The Woman [SPECIAL]

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, self-harm and suicide, graphic violence, sexual assault, strong language and more.

Please be mindful of these sensitive themes and other possible triggers. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

 Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading

LOKI
January 14, 2017

"LOKI? LOKI?"

Who would dare to interrupt my sleep?

"Hey, Loki! Gising!"

My eyes opened abruptly. Looking down on me was the smiling face of a girl whose long, braided hair hung over her right shoulder. Her auburn eyes blinked like the Christmas lights, staring back at mine to check if I was fully awake.

 Her auburn eyes blinked like the Christmas lights, staring back at mine to check if I was fully awake

For a second, I thought that I was in my bedroom. But the coldness of the table where I was lying flat reminded me that this was the clubroom. I got nothing better to do this morning, so I chose to take a long nap. Only an intriguing case could keep me awake or yank me out of sleep.

"Hindi ka na naman ba pumasok sa klase n'yo?" she asked.

"There's nothing interesting in my class," I answered. "Just some trivial stuff that I won't be using in my line of work. I prefer to enjoy moments of peace in the clubroom than hours of excruciating boredom in the classroom. I would doze off anyway."

She placed her shoulder bag on a chair before erasing the codes that I doodled on our whiteboard. Whenever she dropped by the clubroom, she would always ensure that everything was clean and in proper order. Without her, this place would have been a mess. Not that I was lazy. But as long as I could work effectively in an environment—no matter how messy—cleaning wasn't on my to-do list.

Rhiannon—or Rhea, as how I fondly called her—was the one and only member of the QED Club, apart from me. She might not be as sharp as me, but she complemented what I lacked as an individual. She could communicate very well. She could emphatize with people. And sometimes, she could spot what I rarely missed. Some would consider her as my assistant. But once she learned my methods, she could also become a good deductionist.