Chapter 27: The Spider's Scarlet Threads (The Case)

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter may contain content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, self-harm and suicide, graphic violence, sexual assault, strong language and more.

Please be mindful of these sensitive themes and other possible triggers. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

 Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading

LORELEI

THE CASE of the so-called Twinkle, Twinkle Murders was closed at last. The news about Officer Bastien Montreal's involvement in the foiled serial killings was never brought to light in the fear that the incident would undermine the integrity of the police. The Clarion, though privy to this information, chose not to publish anything related to the case.

Sa mga sumunod na araw, bumalik na sa normal ang lahat na parang walang nangyari. Alistair and I continued our seemingly peaceful student lives as we intently listened to Sir Jim Morayta's math lesson. Hindi gano'n kagrabe ang tamang tinamo niya mula sa police officer na kaniyang naka-one-on-one, pero may iniinda pa rin siyang kaunting sakit.

Pag-ring ng school bell, binigyan kami ng assignment at pinaalalahanang may quiz bukas. Once the class was dismissed, our classmates began to leave the room. Hinintay ako ni Alistair na matapos sa pag-aayos ng gamit habang nagpaalam ang seatmate kong si Rosetta na mauuna sa cafeteria.

"Lorelei? Alistair?"

Lumingon kami sa teacher namin na binubura ang isinulat niya sa whiteboard. His eyeglasses reflected the light outside, making it hard for me to see if he was looking in my direction. Isinara ko ang aking bag at lumapit sa teacher's desk. Alistair and I exchanged curious glances as we waited for our instructor to finish cleaning the board.

"Yes, sir?"

"I believe it's time for us to talk about the Moriarty case." Sir Morayta put the whiteboard eraser in his small box. "We're overdue for a chat."

Nangilabot ako matapos marinig ang codename ng mastermind. Sinabihan na niya ako noong suspended pa si Loki na marami raw kaming dapat pag-usapan. He also said back in the Diogenes Café that he was our ally. Last week's incident must have compelled him to reach out to us.

"Mga anong oras at saan po, sir?" tanong ko.

Chineck niya ang oras sa kaniyang relo. "Let's meet at the student executive committee office in thirty minutes? May kakausapin muna ako sa faculty room."

"Sige po."

"See you later."

He dismissed me and Alistair. Lumabas na kami ng kababata ko mula sa classroom—iniwan siyang nag-aayos ng mga gamit niya—at dumeretso na sa QED clubroom.

"He was the one who called the police, right?" tanong ni Alistair, sadyang hininaan ang boses para hindi marinig ng mga nakasalubong naming estudyante. Na-knockout nga pala siya kagabi bago kami iniligtas ng mga awtoridad. I was unable to tell him the other details once he regained consciousness. "But how did he know where we were that night?"