14

What the ever-loving fuck?!

Why is Marc here?!

First, he tells me that I'm making a huge mistake by moving in with Patrick. Then he cuts off all communication with me: no calls, emails, texts, nothing. Now he's here, right on my block! Why?! Is he trying to get to me? Intimidate me maybe?! God, what the hell?!

Anger and frustration start to build up inside of me. I'm gripping the steering wheel so tightly that I think it might break. My eyes are glued to the truck, waiting to catch a glimpse of my brother. Is he just sitting there, waiting for me to come out? He probably is just waiting for the right moment to corner and lecture me. He can't handle not being in control of my life. I'm surprised he's even lasted this long without me.

It's not until I feel Patrick's hand on top of mine that I finally look away. My eyes lock with his and I start to feel a wave of calm wash over me. God, how does he do that?

"Sorry," I breathe out, intertwining my fingers with his.

"There's nothing for you to be sorry for," he says, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," I say, "I just don't know why he's here. What does he want?"

"Do you want me to go talk to him?" Patrick asks, "I can ask him to leave."

"No, babe, I can handle him," I reply, giving his hand a squeeze, "You just take Rose inside."

"I'm not leaving you alone with him."

"Patrick, he's my brother. He won't hurt me. He's just a jackass."

"Who's a jackass?" Rose asks from the backseat.

"Hey, whoa, language," Patrick says, turning around to face Rose, "You're already grounded. Don't push it further."

"Dad," Rose whined, "I'm only repeating."

"I'm sorry, kid," I say, giving her a small smile, "That was on me. Look, how about you and your dad head inside? I'll follow in a bit."

"Rose can head inside," Patrick says to me, "I'm sticking with you."

"Honey, you don't have to," I say, facing him again, "I'm a grown woman, I can take care of myself."

"I know you can, but I want to be at your side," he says, "For moral support if anything else. Look, brother or not, he doesn't get to push you around and talk to you like your property. Besides, if he's stalking you or waiting around to harass you, then I'll call Brendon."

"What for?"

"Well, I'm sure there's some legal way to keep Marcus away."

"Patrick, I don't need a restraining order against my brother."

"No, but maybe the thought of getting one might scare him off."

I smile at Patrick, completely flattered that he cares so much for my well-being. I think a restraining order is a bit much, but I appreciate the thought.

"Alright, we'll talk to him together," I say. I then lean in close and place a soft kiss on his cheek; "Thank you," I whisper into his ear, "I love you."

"I love you too," Patrick replies. He then turns around to face Rose: "Alright, kid, here you go," he says, handing her his keys, "You head on inside and we'll be in when we're done."

"Okay," Rose says taking the keys, "can I watch TV while I wait?"

"No, you're grounded, remember?" he says, "We're still going to talk about what happened today."