24

I look at him with wide eyes, processing his words and really taking them in. His gaze is genuine and full of love; he's not saying this out of obligation, he's speaking the truth.

"I want to marry you."

He just asked me to marry him. Sure, it's not in the traditional sense with the getting down on one knee and all of that, but it doesn't matter. I don't need the ring and the whole show to know that Patrick is being honest right now. He just needs to be himself, the man I fell for 7 months ago. Besides, when have Patrick and I ever done things the traditional way?

"Delilah, please say something," Patrick chuckles, running his fingers through my hair, "I know this is a lot, but I..."

"Yes," I quickly say, letting my excitement get the best of me, "my answer is yes. I know you didn't really ask, but that doesn't matter. I'll marry you. I'll marry you now, tomorrow, in a few minutes, whenever! Whenever you want to be married, let's do it! I don't need a dress or anything; Fuck, we could do it right this second. They have a chapel in here, right? Every hospital does. Maybe I could grab the nurse and she can..."

I'm suddenly silenced by Patrick placing a deep kiss on my lips. I allow my eyes to flutter closed as I give into him. Wrapping my arms around him, I manage to completely engulf him in an embrace. Patrick holds me back, placing one hand behind my head and the other on my waist. God, if we weren't in a hospital right now, I would take him.

I love this man so much!

"I'm the one who's usually rambling," Patrick whispers when we slowly part for air.

"Call it shock," I reply, smiling brightly at him, "The last time you brought up marriage, you panicked."

"I know, I know," he says, "but feelings change. Delilah, I want to marry you. It's not because of security reasons or anything like that. I... I think that I'm going to die, Delilah, and before I go, I want to be able to call you my wife. I want you to have my name and raise my daughter in my family home. It's all in my will, Bren helped me with that, but I want it to be more than just a legal thing. It's selfish, I know."

"Selfish? Hardly," I tell him, gently cupping his face in my hands. I look deeply into his eyes and my heart jumps up into my throat. Despite being so sick and so weak, I still find this man to be so stunning. His unique eyes are just as beautiful as they were the first day, I really gazed into them.

"You really want to do this," I say, more so for my own confirmation, "you mean it."

"Of course, I do," he says, "I have never been so certain about anything."

A bright smile gross across my face as my heart swells. Tears begin to brim in my eyes, and I can't help but laugh with joy. Call it pregnancy hormones or whatever, but I have never felt so happy in all of my life. I never thought that I would be one of those women that gets all gushy about becoming a bride, but I'm honestly over the moon.

"Patrick," I say, rubbing my thumbs over his cheeks, "I love you."

"I love you too," he says, smiling at me, "So, does that mean you'll marry me?"

"I already said yes, dork," I laugh, running my fingers through his hair.

"Well, I want to hear you say it again," he says with a smirk, "Humor me, babe."

I let out a small laugh and smile at him: "Yes," I say again, "Yes, Patrick, I will marry you."

We share another deep kiss on the lips, and I can feel Patrick begin to wrap his arms around my body. I hold him back, eliminating any and all of our troubles. I want this moment to just be about us; no thoughts of cancer or a DNR or what may happen after this surgery. It's just us, just me and the man that I love.