Chapter 29: A Series of Unfortunate Events (Connecting Dots)

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, self-harm and suicide, graphic violence, sexual assault, strong language and more.

Please be mindful of these sensitive themes and other possible triggers. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

 Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading

LORELEI

"ADELBERT GUZMAN," I spat the name like poison. Kumuyom ang mga kamao ko pagbanggit doon.

That name was the trigger. That alone was the key that unlocked my mental vault where my haunting past had been sealed away. What happened that night was replayed in my mind. Unfortunately, I could remember every bit of it as if the tragedy just happened yesterday. The scar was opened again.

It all happened in one night of February 2017.

MANY WERE looking forward to the annual soiree. But me? I was not as enthusiastic as most students. Pumunta ako rito dahil mag-a-attend din ang kababata ko para siguruhing maayos ang takbo ng event. Member kasi siya ng organizing committee. 'Tapos meron ding incentives sa grade namin sa finals.

I was at the makeshift bar in our gymnasium, sitting alone while watching the flashes of different colors give life to the late night event. My outfit for tonight was a cyan midi dress. Most attendees were clad in coats and gowns, dancing on the floor as if it was the last day of their lives. Meron din ibang kagaya ko na nakaupo at painom-inom ng soda sa isang tabi.

"You don't seem to be enjoying the party." A girl with blonde curls wearing mermaid gown approached me. Pumuwesto siya sa barstool sa aking tabi. Naglagay siya ng dalawang wineglass sa countertop. "You're drinking soda? Seriously? Here, have a real drink."

Umangat ang isa kong kilay habang nakatitig sa mga baso. "What's this?"

Deretsong ininom ni Regina Victoria ang drink niya na parang uminom siya ng tubig. "Don't worry. That's just a white grape wine. Mas appropriate para sa ganitong event. That's way better than your bland soda."

"I don't drink alcohol." Inilayo ko ang baso mula sa akin. Ni minsa'y hindi pa ako nakatikim ng kahit anong klase ng alak. Just a drop would probably make me puke.

"That's non-alcoholic. Hindi ka malalasing niyan." Muli niyang inilapit ang baso sa harapan ko. "Consider this drink as my thank you gift to you. You've made me realize a lot kaya gusto kong magpasalamat. You've opened my eyes."

She must be referring to the fabricated financial reports of the peer support group which she was a part of. Matapos kong i-expose ang mga discrepancy sa kanilang report, noong una'y nagalit siya sa akin dahil sa pangingialam ko. Pero kinalauna'y kumalma siya at nagpasalamat pa sa akin.

Muli kong tinitigan ang inuman. Baka sinusubukan niya akong i-trick para uminom ng alcohol. Para makasiguro, tumikim ako nang kaunti. Hindi siya mapait. Lasang carbonated drink nga siya.