Chapter 1

-Flash back-

The year is 1899. The day the working children of New York joined together to help stop the evils of Pulitzer and Hearst. The day your life changed forever...

"WE BEAT 'EM" the infamous Jack Kelly yelled as cheers erupted from the crowd. I pushed my way through so I could get a better look at this group of, by now, very well known newsboys.

I stood one my tip-toes peaking over shoulders and noticed Snyder (yes the Snyder the Spider) being taken away by the bulls. Serves him right. I thought to myself, although it's very hard to think with all this cheering-

I turn quickly on my heels, only to be met face to, well, chest with a large man. Startled, I stumble back, crashing into another boy. I land directly on top of him.

"I am so sorry!" I quickly apologize. I look down at him and blush, realizing I'm laying across his chest. I quickly get off and stick my arm out to help him up. I look down at him and I feel my face flush.

I just ran into a boy with a crutch.

I help him off the ground and look away in embarrassment. "Mister, I am so sorry, IcannotbelieveIjustdidthatIamsosorrypleaseforgiveme-" I can feel the tears welling up in my eyes as he cuts me off. "Hey it's okay! I'se handled way worse, trust me!" He smiles as I look at him in the eyes for the first time.

He is about the same age as I am, slightly taller, with dark brown fluffy hair, mostly tucked in an iconic newsboy hat. He looks pretty tired and beat up but still manages to keep a smile on his face.

I smile back.

He sticks his hand out for me to shake.

"I'm Crutchie! Crutchie Morris." He smiles even brighter (it takes a smile that spreads like budda).

I put my hand into his and shake it softly. "Y/n l/n" I say softly, but loud enough for him to hear over the loud cheering.

As our hands separate, I look down and notice a tear in his shirt. My face flushes again remembering the events that led to us this meeting.

"Excuse me mist- Crutchie, I think I may have tore your shirt when we fell" I say looking down ashamed. Nice going. You meet a nice boy and you knock him over and you rip his shirt. He looks down at it.

"Dat? Oh dats fine, it's only a small hole. It won't get in da way of nothin" he says, like it's no big deal.

"Oh please Crutchie let me fix it? I mean I did run into you and cause the rip in the first place. It's how I can repay you. If you have time we can meet somewhere and I can sew it up quick if you'd like?" I ask anxiously, hoping he agrees. I feel terrible.

He thinks for a second. "You know what? Yeah. Youse can fix me shirt, that would be lovely." He says and smiles. "It gives me an excuse to see youse again" he adds. I blush.

"Thank you very much Crutchie. How about at Tibby's tomorrow at sundown?" I ask and smile. "Poifect. Well okay den Miss l/n. It was a pleasure to make ya 'cquaintance" (that means acquaintance and poifect means perfect, sorry I'm trying to add the accent best as possible).

I giggle "It was nice to meet you too Crutchie." I smile once again.

And with that he leaves and joins the rest of the newsies in celebration, as I make my way through the crowd once again.

A/n- I hope you liked the first chapter. It kinda gives some background as to how you meet the newsies. Next chapter will most likely be continuing on with the flash back and you going to Tibby's and such, as well as some of your past. As always, thank you for reading! Love youuuu!

-Emma <33