Chapter 12

A/n - go check out my best friend Cowboy_BBy 's newsies x reader story. It's so good! Okay enjoy the chapter.

~

Racetrack Higgins. Known for his addictions to cigars and placing bets. He would make bets on anything and everything.

He also reigns undefeated in poker.

That is, until y/n l/n decides to join one night.

~

"YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!" Race screams throwing his cards down.

Y/n laughs along with the rest of the boys.

"This ain't even damn possible! This is her first time playin! She's got to be cheatin! Crutchie youse been watchin her, she was cheatin wasn't she?" He yells, frantically trying to prove that it was a fluke.

Crutchie shakes his head. "Nah Race. She's really good." He smirks and rests his head on her shoulder.

"Listen just because I ain't played before don't mean I don't know hows to." She giggles.

Race looks at her, mouth wide open. He drops his head, excepting his defeat.

"Well boys," she starts, "I do believe that... I WON!" She yells, cheers erupting from the newsies around her. She laughs as they all praise her.

Race stares at the pretty girl, watching as she laughed and smiled.

He smiles.

I may have lost to a newbie, but I guess it was worth it.

- time skip - the next day - 2 hours before the show -
|Backstage at the Bowery|

"Crutchie!" Y/n shouts from behind the curtain, getting the boy's attention.

Crutchie had come with y/n to the Bowery to keep her company while she prepared for the show.

He walks over to her and smiles.

"Heya y/n! What's wrong?" He asks her.

She leads him back stage.

"Could you help me pick out a dress? I need your honest opinion on how I look." She asks the boy. He smiles at her.

"Of course I'll help!" He says and takes a seat outside of her dressing room.

"I also may need help getting some of them tied." She says nervously smiling. He gives a thumbs up as she walks in to try on her first dress.

She walks out of the dressing room wearing her first dress choice.