Chapter 4

-Time skip - later that day after selling-

Y/n and Davey race back to Tibby's after selling, laughing the whole way.

They had bet that whoever lost, had to stand in the bathroom for 1 whole minute right after Kid Blink was done. Which, everyone knew, was quite a punishment.

"I totally beat you!" Y/n had yelled at the boy as they arrived at the door. "No way! I watched you finish!" He replied laughing.

"Davey I definitely beat you. You're just a sore loser." She says smirking at him. They walked in together giggling.

The boys were all sitting at tables drinking water, talking, and just enjoying themselves.

The newsies had often went to Tibby's after selling. Tibby's was a place they could all hang out. That and...

"Medda's!" She had heard Jack announce.

Before the pair had arrived, Jack was suggesting they go to one of Medda's shows at the Bowery, a safe haven for the newsies.

They all loved going to the Bowery.

Cheers erupted from the newsies, who were happy with the boy's suggestion.

See the boys, and y/n, hadn't been to Medda's in about 2 weeks (where before they would go multiple times a week) because two of the boys had gotten into a little fight, and Medda had to "ground us" for a bit. But Jack must have gotten the okay to come back.

"Then that settles it! We'll go to a show tomorrow after selling!"

Y/n walked over and took a seat next to Racetrack, who was lighting his cigar. (Davey walked over and sat next to Les and Jack)

"Hey n/n. How was sellin?" He asks, blowing smoke. "It was slow today, but that's okay cause Davey's back so it wasn't as boring!" She smiles at the boy.

He scoffs slightly at the mention of David, but she doesn't seem to notice.

"You excited to go to Medda's? I can't wait!" She says excitement lacing her words. He giggled slightly at her excitement and replied, "Yeah, yeah I am."

He looked at the girl in admiration. You see, Racetrack was very fond of y/n l/n. He felt different around her than he felt around everyone else. He thought that she was the most beautiful girl, and she was smart, funny, and so kind. He couldn't help but fall in love with her the second he met her. In all honesty, who could?

Y/n had looked over at him. "Why don't ya take a picture it'll last longer." She says laughing. His face goes red and he looks away.

She starts taking to Boots, who is on the other side of her. Race joins in here and there.

Y/n leans over towards Race and grabs his cup of water taking a sip. He didn't mind. She did this a lot.

- time skip - at the Lodging house - it's like 9:00 pm now -

"Hey boys!" Race announces. Some look in his direction while others just continue their conversation. "Let's play poker!"

A few boys gather round the table. Crutchie limps over as well. He join the games sometimes. Y/n never played, but she always watched. It amused her to watch the boys get worked up over a card game.

She walked over and sat on Crutchie's lap as Race dealt the hand.

Y/n lays her head on Crutchie's chest, just now realizing how exhausted she is. She listens to his heart beat. He looks down at the girl and pulls her closer so she doesn't fall. "You can sleep if youse wants to." Crutchie whispers to the girl. He feels her nod her head against his chest as her breath slowly steadies.

He takes his turn. "She asleep man?" Blink asks as he takes his turn. "Yeah I think so. Gee Dave what did ya do to her?" Crutchie jokes looking over at Davey who was setting a sleeping Les on a bench. He laughs and walks over, sitting in an empty chair at the table.

"Deal me in" he says.

The boys played for a little longer. Davey decided to take Les home.

"Hey Dave, you mind?" Crutchie gestured to the sleeping girl on his lap. Davey nods and walks over gently lifting the girl and carrying her, bridal style, up the stairs to the bunks.

He felt the girl stir in his arms. "~Davey?" Y/n says quietly, waking up. "Yeah it's me n/n. You fell asleep" he whispers looking down at her.

"Oh- okay" she says snuggling back into his chest.

He set her down in Race's bunk (because he didn't want to lift her to her bunk and take a chance of dropping the fragile girl) and tucked her in.

As he started to walk away he heard a soft "Davey?" He turned around and looked at her. "Yeah n/n?" "Can you stay with me until I fall asleep?" He pauses. "Yeah sure." He smiles and sits next to her.

She sticks out her hand and he takes hold of it.

When the boy first met y/n, they quickly found out that she enjoyed physical contact. Well, when she wanted it of course. It kinda showed that she trusted you and liked your company. If she reached out to you, boy you best reach back. (I'm sorry if this isn't you. It's just something that adds to the plot.)

"Y/n?" "Yeah Davey?" She responds quietly.
"I-" he pauses. He looks at the girl and then away.

"Iloveyou-" he says quickly and closes his eyes tightly. He waits for an answer, but nothing.

He opens and his eyes and looks at the girl. She is fast asleep. He smiles at her and leans down, kissing her forehead.

"Goodnight y/n."

He gets up and walks towards the stairs, looking back at her one more time before heading back downstairs.