Chapter 11

Y/n and Spot arrived back at the lodging house.

"Bye Spotty." She says smiling and kisses his cheek. "Bye n/n." He says smiling back and walking towards Brooklyn.

She walks inside and greets the boys, heading up to the bunk room.

As she walks in she notices a figure climbing out the window.

She immediately knows who it is.

Jack.

She walks over and follows him out.

She climbs up on the roof to see Jack punching a pair of socks hanging on a clothes line.

She laughs walking over to him. "What in the hell are you doing?" She asks, erupting into a fit of giggles. He jumps a little bit expecting anyone to be up there.

"Oh uh nothin. I just came up heya to clear my head." He walks over to the side and looks over towards the sky that's filled with stars, blanketing the quiet city below.

She goes and stands next to him.

"It's pretty." She says softly. He hums in response.

"Look Jacky," she starts, but he cuts her off.

"I'm so sorry y/n. I know you hate me but I really didn't mean to hurt you. I just wanted-" she cuts him off by placing her hand on his.

"I'm not mad." She says plainly.

"And you have every right to be- wait- you aren't?" He asks, shocked.

"Of course I'm not mad! Jacky I could never be mad at you, and I could NEVER hate you!" She says, seriously, and looks into his eyes.

"Jack I never meant to hurt you. I was just- overwhelmed and I needed time to think." She explained.

"Well what do you think?" He asks eagerly.

"Well-" she pauses. "I'm not sure." She says. He looks down disappointed. "No no no" she says frantically, "the kiss, the kiss was amazing." She says truthfully.

He looks up at her. His eyes glistening with hope. A smile tugging at his lips.

"I'm just very confused right now and I don't know what I want to do." She says, looking towards the sky again to avoid eye contact.

"Y/n"

"Yeah Jack?"

"I'll wait for you. As long as I have to."

She blushes, and smiles at the boy.

She leans forward and kisses the corner of his mouth and then looks back at the sky.

They sit up on the roof and talk the whole night, about anything they could. And when they ran out of things to talk about they just enjoyed each others company.

They both may not have realized it, but they really missed this.

~

The next morning all the newsies got ready as usual.

Y/n walked up to Race, who was sitting on his bunk, and sat next to him.

"Heya Racer." She said as she put her boots on.

"Hey goily." He responded finishing tying his shoes. He stuck his cigar in his mouth and look at the girl, who had finished tying her shoes as well.

"Hey n/n, youse got somethin right-" he pauses for a second getting closer to her face, as if he were examining it. "-HERE!" He yelled grabbing her hat and bolting down the stairs.

"GET BACK HEYA YOU BUMMA!" She yelled and chased after him, causing the other newsboys to laugh.

Just like old times.

She chases him all the way to the gates. He slows down once they arrive, but she keeps running. She runs and jumps on his back.

He grabs her legs, stabilizing the girl.

She giggles.

He reaches up and hands her her hat back.

"Thank you!" She says giggling again.

He carries her around as they open the gates. The newsboys flood in.

"How's the headline Jack?" She asks, wrapping her arms loosely around Race's neck.

"Ah same old same old." He responds flailing his arms around.

They laugh.

Kid Blink then walks over.

"Hey n/n you wanna sell togetha?" He asks the girl. She turns towards him and smiles.

"Yeah sure! I'm sure Dave won't mind if I leave him for today." She laughs, lightly kicking her legs back and forth.

Race smiles. God she is adorable.

He sets the girl down as they near the front of the line. They pay for their papes and all head out to the streets of Manhattan.

~

Blink and y/n walk side by side shouting headlines to any one they see.

The walk around and eventually end up in Central Park.

"Hey Blink you wanna take a break?" She asks the boy. He agrees.

They walk over and sit leaning against a building.

"I'm nervous to perform at Medda's tomorrow." She says. He looks at her and smiles.

"You're gonna do amazing! I'm so excited! You are gonna be freakin amazing." He gushes.

Her face heats up.

"Thanks Blink."

They talk for a few more minutes before continuing to sell.

- time skip - after rehearsal - 8:45 pm -

"Bye Medda!" Y/n yells as she walks out of the Bowery.

"Heya beautiful." A voice calls from the dark.

She screams.

"Hey hey hey it's just me!" Spot says stepping forward.

"You scared the shit outta me!" She laughs punching his shoulder playfully.

"So is this gonna be an everyday thing Spotty boy?" She asks smirking at the boy.

He swings his pimp stick around as he walks.

He looks at her smugly, "It could be, doll face." He says, extremely flirtatious.

The girl laughs, causing Spot to blush.

"That would be nice." She says giggling.

He looks at her shocked, and smiles. He wasn't expecting her to agree.

- time skip - 9:15 pm -

She walks into the lodging house, greeting Mr. Kloppmann.

She walks over to the boys and sees they are playing poker again.

She walks over and claims her seat on Crutchie's lap.

"How was rehearsal n/n?" Davey asks as he takes his turn. "It was fine. Are you guys ready for the show tomorrow?"

The room erupts in excited "yeahs" all around. She smiles at them. "Good cause I worked my ass off for you people." They all laugh.

"Hey Race," she says turning to him. He nods in response.

"Deal me in."