Chapter 8

"stop please."

~

Mush and Specs ran over pulling Jack off of Race, which took much effort giving that Jack wouldn't stopped pushing and kicking.

Race lay there bloody and bruised.

Y/n got up and rushed to his side.

"Racer are you okay? Can you hear me?" She cried grabbing his hands in hers and squeezing them.

He didn't respond. Y/n let out a loud sob.

~

The two boys had all led Jack out the door, leaving the rest there.

Once y/n calmed down she told the boys to go ahead and sell without her.

Y/n told Crutchie to tell Davey she wouldn't be there today. Crutchie gave her a hug and kissed her forehead. "He'll be alright n/n." He said reassuringly.

Y/n had asked Skittery to stay behind with her and help with Racetrack. He agreed. He wanted to take a day off anyways (Or maybe he just likes her... nah... maybe...... nah...).

Skittery carried Race over to his bunk, setting him down gently and then moving over and sitting on Snipe's bed.

Y/n sat next to Race on the bed, across from where Skits sat. She carefully tucked the boy into the bed and pushed a strand of hair out of his face. He was out cold.

"Skittery, could you get me a warm wet rag please?" She asked sweetly not taking her eyes of Race's bloody face. She caressed his cheek.

"Yeah sure." He responds plainly and gets up.

He returns and hands her the rag. She begins gently wiping away the blood, some already dry.

Skittery watches closely, suddenly very interested in what she was doing.

She finishes wiping the blood and asks him to grab the first aid kit. He complies.

She takes out an ointment and rubs it on his cuts.

"Why do you think they did this?" She asks suddenly, not taking her eyes off Race. Skits looks at her, seeing her eyes start to water again, then looks back down.

"I'm not really sure if Ise bein honest." He responds.

She nods.

She finishes up on Race, setting an ice pack on his head and then turns towards Skittery. She grabs Races hand, squeezing it gently then lets it go.

She takes a deep breath and looks up at Skittery.

"You wanna go for a walk?" She asks, deciding they should leave him to rest.

~

(Italics are Skittery's thoughts)

They walk side by side along the streets in a comfortable silence.

After a few minutes y/n spoke up.

"So Medda convinced me to preform at the Bowery next week." She said, in attempt to make conversation.

"Really? Wow. Ise didn't know youse was a preforma" he says.

"I'm not really. I'se never done it before. Medda has heard me sing before and has wanted me to preform ever since." She explains to the boy.

"Later today I have to go to Medda's to start preparing, you should come with me." She says looking at him and smiling.

Skittery's heart does flips. He slightly smiles back. "Yeah sure. I ain't got nothin else ya do anyways." He says blushing.