15. Before the wedding

Draped in a heavily embellished red lehenga with subtle makeup, traditional jewellery and lots of bangles which almost covered my hands, I looked way beyond beautiful.

"Someone's going to have a heart attack today." Navya said as she pinned my pallu on my shoulder.

"Then that's good. The marriage will be postponed." I said, looking at my reflection in the mirror.

She rolled her eyes at my words, before gently hitting me. "You really are so eager to kill my brother in law, aren't you?"

"Yeah. You guessed it right. I want to kill him with my looks." I smirked.

"And you are 101% going to succeed." Navya smiled. "By the way where's Alya?"

"Give it a guess."

"With Dhruv." I guessed, well that was a given though.

"Correct. They are like each other's shadow. Well she said she wanted to see the barat arrive and welcome them but I saw her sitting with Dhruv on the balcony."

"Nothing new." I was really unfazed. They had gotten married a year ago but before that they were childhood sweethearts.

"Nandini I am warning you. After getting married you aren't allowed to be like Alya. Like you can stick with Manik all you want but you have to give me time too." She said, side hugging me."Okay?"

"Well it will depend on my mood." I said as I saw a message pop in my phone screen. I reached for my phone and checked the message while Navya had been busy making faces and shooting glares at me.

It was a message from Manik.

Manik:
"Few more hours to go and you are all mine."

I couldn't help but smile on seeing his message. I had never even imagined that a message like this could make me smile.

"Who? me? I am only mine. No one can win me over so easily Mr. Malhotra."

I texted back, before keeping my phone aside. I was more than happy and excited to marry Manik but still I was a little nervous as well. I was going to leave my home in which I spent twenty four years of my life.

"Nervous?" I heard Alya voice. I looked at her through the mirror as she entered the room with Dhruv and one more guy. I gently nodded my head in yes.

"I was too."

"Well what's there to be nervous about?" Navya interjected in middle.

"When your turn comes, you'll know it." Alya said as she reached us. "It's okay to feel this way. You'll slowly adjust there."

I nodded my head with a small smile, still nervous."Anyway leave that the photographer is here. Let's click some photos." Alya said, excited.

"Cool." I agreed and the next moment we were busy getting our photos clicked.

A few minutes later Mukti and Abhi too arrived and we all had a solo as well as a group photo clicked. We all looked happy in the picture.

"Now only the bride." The photographer said.

"Woahh photoshoot that too without me." Cabir voice made me look towards the door.

"Cabir." Navya went and side hugged him.

"I thought you were coming with Manik?" I asked.

"Well I am coming from his home. He'll be here soon."

I nodded my head. "Okay so tell me how should I pose?"

"Nandini put on the gungaat and then look towards the camera like a shy bride." Navya said as she gave me a demo and that only made me and the others cringe while Cabir lightly pulled her cheeks.

"You are so adorable." He said, before patting her hear lightly and the smile on Navya's face was worth seeing.

"No PDA please." I said and to mock me even Alya held Dhruv's arm cozily. Mukti didn't spare me too. She too leaned on Abhi as though he was her pillar and Abhi gently ruffled her hair.

I looked at them with a grumpy face and they chuckled. "Missing Manik?" Abhi raised a brow and I rolled my eyes at him.

"You all are siding against me. This is so unfair." I huffed.

"Someone had said to me everything's fair in love and war." Navya said, reminding me of my lines from the bachelor's party.

"Well I lose." I accepted my defeat, seeing all their smiley faces. Even in between all my friends and their laughter, I missed Manik. I really did. May be this was the side effect of loving someone.

I looked at the dark colour of my mehendi. Tracing the initial of his name 'M' over my mehendi pattern, my lips curved into a small smile. He really had managed to win me over.

After almost an hour of clicking photos, I heard the loud sound of the band baja and I knew the barat had arrived. Many emotions rushed within me and I could feel my heart beating harder.

"The barat's arrived." Two of my cousins came rushing inside my room excitedly.

"Nandini your prince charming is finally here." Mukti nudged.

I didn't say anything. I just couldn't.

"Mukti your turn will also come." My mom interjected in middle, as she entered inside.

"I wish it would come soon." Mukti said, putting on a fake sad face, looking at Abhi.

Abhi shook his head lightly before smiling. "Next is surely your turn." He said, surprising all of us.

Mukti looked at him surprised. "You are proposing to me, aren't you?"

He gently nodded his head before taking out a small ring box from his pocket and a chorus of 'ohhh' ran down.

He then came down on his knees and breathed in heavily, before asking,"Will you marry me?"

Mukti covered her mouth with her hand. I could see her eyes becoming teary. She had been waiting for this moment since a very long time.

She bent towards him and immediately hugged him. "Yes I will." She said and we all clapped and cheered for them.

"You guys are stealing my daughter's spotlight." My mum said and they both got up mumbling a 'sorry'.

"Don't be." She said, gently patting both Abhi and Mukti's head, before turning to look at me.

"You are going to be someone's wife and someone's daughter in law now. I know this relations and responsibilities might feel heavy but I know you'll handle it." She said, gently holding my hand.

"When I am not around don't eat oily-"

"I know. I know. I shouldn't eat oily food. I should do my exercise in time. I should go for my regular check ups and I should have my medicines in time. I will do that." She smiled, gently cupping my face, before pulling me in a hug. "But in return just don't trouble my son in law." She said and I made a grumpy face.

Later, as I descended down the stairs with my mum and my friends, all the eyes turned to me. I looked up to see Manik sitting on the mandap. He looked way beyond handsome. I could see his eyes fixed on me and I smiled.

I was soon going to be his wife.

*****

Okay so how was the update? I hope you guys liked it ♥️

Do drop your votes and comments.
Stay safe. Stay happy.
Love ♥️
Aaku