20. My rock

"Nan-dini." His voice had been trembling.

"Manik who is it?" I asked as I reached me.

"Your mom-"

"What about mum?" I interrupted, suddenly anxious. Just the mention of my mum scared the shit out of me.

"She had a sudden cardiac arrest and she is being taken to the city hospital."

"Manik let's go to the hospital." I panicked.

He nodded. After changing and informing Manik's dad, we both rushed to the hospital in the car.

I sat in the car. By now I had totally panicked. I was losing my mind. I couldn't comprehend what I should be doing.

I could feel a knot form in my chest then in my heart. Right then I felt his warm hand on mine. I looked at him and he squeezed my hand a bit. "Everything will be okay." He said, softly.

"Manik I am scared. I am totally losing it." I panicked. My mum had had a sudden cardiac arrest when I was at the age of 10. She had fainted right in front of my eyes and I had been helpless. The scene from then kept on playing like an episode in my mind and I got paranoid every passing second.

"Nandini it's okay to be scared. It's okay to not be okay." He said as he lightly caressed my knuckles."And you are not alone. I am there for you."

And those mere words of his somehow gave me strength. I nodded my head gently, before breathing in and breathing out. I had to calm myself down. He kept on holding my hand with his one hand while his other hand was fixed to the steering wheel.

"Manik I am okay." I said, gulping the lump on my throat. "You can leave my hand. It must be uncomfortable to drive like this."

He continued to caress my knuckles. "I won't leave your hand even if you tell me to." He said with his eyes fixed to the road. "And don't worry it's not uncomfortable."

How did I get so lucky to get him in my life? I looked at him and even in situations like this just by looking at him, it gave me strength to endure all of this.

"Nandini you know your mom's condition the best. So don't panic."

And he did have a point. I instantly took out my phone and called the nurse in charge. I asked her about my mum's condition from her blood pressure to her heart rate. Then I called the hospital, asking about the arrangements for the surgery.

In the hospital,

I saw dad sitting outside the operation theatre. My dad looked defeated. There he was, bent over and his face buried into his palm. Though my dad had always been a busy soul, he never neglected my mum. He loved her a lot.

God! I really hated to see him this way; sad and defeated. It hurt.

"Dad." It took all my willpower to call him without breaking down.

He looked up at me. "Did Aryaman say anything?" I asked, softly. Aryaman was the doctor in charge of my mum.

"He said her condition is critical. But I know she'll make it." Dad said but it sounded as though he was trying to convince himself.

This made me even more tensed and the feeling of losing someone dear to me gripped my heart. But I had to stay strong for my dad and my mum.

"Everything will be okay." I said, softly.I wanted to be a part of this operation. But my mind was a total mess right now and moreover my dad needed me.

We sat over the benches in the corridor, waiting and wishing for the operation to get successful. I myself being a cardiologist, I knew it very well that she had very less chances of survival.

But still I didn't lose my hope.

Later, a nurse hurried out of the operation theatre, probably to bring the doses that the surgeon had asked for.

"How's her condition?" My dad asked in a haste as soon as he saw the nurse.

"I can't say anything right now." The nurse said before she hurried out. This probably meant she wasn't in a good condition. I could feel the tears forming in my eyes but I forcefully blocked it.

Everything will be okay.

All those five freaking hours, I sat beside my dad holding his hand tightly. I was breaking inside but I stayed strong. Manik from time to time squeezed my shoulder, assuring me with his eyes that everything would be okay and that really helped me stay sane. If it wouldn't have been for him, I would have long broken down.

Finally Aryaman appeared. We all stood up from our seat, anxiety killing us. "Aryaman how's my mum?"

"She made it." He beamed with joy. "Her operation was successfully."

I couldn't be more happy. I let out a sigh of relief, leaning on the wall. Manik came and stood in front of me and I leaned on his shoulder, taking in his presence.

"It's okay." He said softly and I instantly hugged him, hiding myself in his embrace.

"Thank you for being my strength." I whispered softly. I really didn't know whether he heard it or not but he really was my strength. He is my rock, on which I can lean on.

***
Thank you to all the readers of My sassy wife. I hope you enjoyed reading this book. The next chapter will most probably mark the ending of this one beautiful journey.

Stay safe. Stay happy.
Love ♥️
Aaku