Chapter 17-Major Faris

"I like stories where women save themselves"

-Neil Gaiman

Start of January

Sohail entered the house with red eyes, shattered and grief filled heart. Each and every word of Salma was echoing in his mind. Karma had stuck him. The cruel society, whom he once was also the part, had crushed his daughter's mind. Voices and flashes from the past started roaming into his mind. 

"I promise I will come back"he was saying this to Salma

"Real man is one who protects his family from evil. He is the person who supports his family and makes compromises for them." His mentor was saying to him

"She was a characterless girl," His mother said to him

"Please Sohil, don't do that. Please listen to me. Please! I really love you" Salma's weeping voice echoed in his mind and then, those three dreadful words echoed in his mind. 

"Divorce, divorce, divorce

And after it, everything finishes. 

Sohail's eyes again became moist on remembering those moments. He felt pity and anger on himself. 

"That's why anger is Haram in Islam. This feeling makes you to take those decisions which you will regret in future. I have also taken the divorce decision in anger and everything finishes in my life." He thought. 

He entered his room and decided to take shower, so that he could calm his nerves. He opened his wardrobe, and then the picture of Salma came in front of him. 

The picture was of their wedding in which he was smiling at the camera and Salma's eyes were casted down. Shades of shyness were evident in her posture. Sohail gazed at the picture and emptiness took over him. 

"I was a weak man who was not able to protect and help his wife. But, I will not repeat my mistakes. I will protect my daughter from this society. I will do anything for her."

Determination was evident in his eyes.
And, only fate knew how he was going to fulfil his promise. 

                   .........................

Silence was in Faris's house as one was ignoring the other and the other was trying to muster up his courage to speak to her. 

Faris felt grateful to her that she was with him in this situation. He wanted to say thank you for her support and also wanted to say sorry for his rudeness. From the very first day, he knew that his rudeness was pointless, but still he was rude with her. He doubted her character, or at least made her feel like that. At this moment, he was biting his lips and pondering over the ways how he could express his feelings? Or how to repair his relationship? Managing relations is also an art, a skill; and unfortunately Faris had forgotten this skill due to the bitterness of his life. In prison, He had forgotten how to manage a family life. And there, all the problems lie. 

Daneen did feel affection and love towards him last night. But, now she had composed herself, and had decided to maintain the distance between them. Self Respect is heavier than love. And her self respect was stopping her to remain polite to Faris. 

She finished making breakfast and started setting the table. Faris, who was standing near the table, took the plates from her. He put it on the table and took Daneen's hands in his. Daneen remained quiet.

"Please take the seat" he beseeched. 

She stared at him and then sat on a chair. He also took the chair and sat near her.