Part 2

Diane set the drink down on the table, unable to force a smile.  Oslo growled softly beside her.

"What's wrong with that dog?"Howzer asked. "I haven't done anything to it and every time I come in here that thing has something against me."Diane rubbed the hound's head lovingly.

"He's just protective, that's all." The giantess explained. "He really is a good boy, aren't you Oslo?"The dog barked in response. "He's a comfort to me. King-"Diane bowed her head, unable to finish her thought. "Anyway, just let me know if you need anything else." She turned to leave.

"Hey Diane?" Howzer called softly. "All the time I've been here since..then, I never told you how sorry I am. I know he meant a lot to you, if you ever wanted to talk or anything-" 

"Thanks, but I'll be okay." the man nodded.

"Yeah, of course you will. But even the strongest people  need someone to turn to sometimes, I know it's been really hard on you."Diane didn't reply, instead she returned to the bar. placing the serving tray on the counter. 

"If you need to take the day off, I get it."Meliodas offered. Diane shook her head. 

"No. I said I'd help out and it's probably better if I don't think about it too much."

"Looks like you're already thinking about it a lot, it's okay to remember him, Diane. Just be sure you remember the good times." He placed a glass in front of her. "At least take a break, you've worked really hard today.  Drinks are on me today, have as much as you want."

"Are you sure, I wouldn't want to-"

"Yeah, anything you want. We just made more of that too if you want it." He gestured to the drink in front of her.  "I know. I know how indescribable that pain really is. I'm sorry you have to know what it's like." Diane nodded.

"Thanks, Captain." She sniffled, reaching into the pink liquid to remove the large strawberry and taking a bite. Oslo nudged her arm lightly. 

"What would I do without you, Oslo. He really wouldn't want us to feel like this, you know.  We need to be strong now, like Harlequin was. That's what he wants for us  now. We made a promise after all." She said as the tears began to fall.  It was midday when Diane requested the large bottle of her favorite drink and strawberries. She made her way up to her room, closing the door behind her. It was only when she was alone in her room that she allowed herself to feel the intensity of the pain in  her heart. She could imagine him beside her, hear his soft voice in her ear.

'Come on Diane, smile for me." The words played back in her mind.

"I wish I could, Harlequin." She whispered into the empty room. "I'm not as strong as you were."

'I'll always love you, no matter what.' The fairy's words tore at her heart.

"I don't know how you could." She sobbed. "I let you die. I wasn't ready for you to leave me, King. Because of me, you're gone. It's not fair!" She sobbed, thrusting her fists into her pillow. A knock caught her attention. She lay still wanting to grieve alone, knowing she would need to get as much out as she possibly could before her visit with King.

"Diane?" Elizabeth called softly from the other side of the door. "I just wanted to see if you're okay. I know you miss Sir King, but I don't think he would want you to be-"

"You have no idea what Harlequin would want!" She cried in a sudden rage, she regretted it instantly.

"I didn't know him as well as you did, but I do know that Sir King loved you more than anything, If you need someone to talk to, I just want you to know I'm here." Diane stood from the bed, throwing open the door and wrapped her arms around the princess.

"I'm sorry, Elizabeth, I just-"

"No, it's okay. The princess soothed. "I understand."

"I miss him so much it's like an actual pain in my heart. It's my fault, I froze and-"

"No, you were exhausted and overwhelmed. He wanted you to be okay, Diane-"

"Well  I'm not okay. "the giantess sobbed. "It's not okay that he isn't here.  I can't be strong when everything reminds me of him. I promised I'd be okay but I'm not strong enough for this.

"Missing someone dear to you isn't weakness. Things get better in time, take as much as you need, is there anything I can do?"

"No. Not unless you can give him back to me." Elizabeth hugged her tightly.

"I wish I could. I'd give him back in a heartbeat.I'm so sorry." 

"Thanks, Elizabeth. Do you think you'll want to come with us tonight?"

"Of course. I wasn't able to thank him before, if it's okay with you, I'd like to say a few words too."Diane nodded, releasing her friend.

"I think Harlequin would like that and I could really use a friend today. Do you have some time to talk?"Elizabeth gave a sympathetic smile.

"As much time as you need." She said, following the giantess into the room.  It was later that evening when the girls reappeared in the tavern. 

"You almost ready, Diane?" Meliodas asked, placing a pair of large bottles in the basket. Diane sniffled, it had been clear to the dragon sin that she had spent the majority of the afternoon in tears.

"Elizabeth and I are going to start out a little early. We'll meet you there." She replied.

"Hey, are you sure you're up for this, He'd understand if we didn't-"

"No. It's important to me and we've been doing this for two years now. It's the very least we can do."Meliodas nodded. 

"If you're sure, then we'll see you there soon. "Meliodas promised, watching the two walk out the door. He turned back to his task.

"When were you going to tell her?" Hawk asked.

"I'm not." The sin replied.

"Seriously, you're gonna act like it didn't happen and just-"

"For now. Keeping it to ourselves is best until we know for sure what's going on. You can't just come out and say something like that and nothing comes of it. Right now, we'll just have to sit back and see what happens."