Part 5

"Some of the things we'll need can be easily found, others we'll have to get from the Fairy King's forest. One very important ingredient only grows there as far as I can tell." Merlin explained, placing the books in front of Diane.  "Pay close attention to how these things are made. If it's not prepared correctly, some of these can cause more problems than he'll already have and certain ones can't be mixed at all. They'll have to be offered separately to avoid complications." Merlin explained.  Diane opened the book, skimming the pages.

"You'll notice I've marked some of the pages are marked,"The mage continued.  "Those are the ones to focus on first.  These first two are very important. We're going to use them to get rid of the poison and make it as painless as possible, which unfortunately isn't going to add up to much help.. I'll have you modify the medication slightly. We'll be adding dandelion to it."

"What's that going to do?" Diane asked, reading the page.

"The mixture we'll be giving him to absorb the poison is also an irritant for fairies. It could potentially cause stomach pains and nausea, by adding the dandelions, you're helping to reduce the discomfort."

"If it's going to hurt him, couldn't we use a different-"

"This is the only one I've come across that can be used to begin the healing before you call him back. In very small, slowly administered doses, it'll be most helpful for him.  Once you're able to prepare those two things, you can offer him a way home." Diane nodded. 

"I'm kind of worried though." She admitted. "What if I can't do it, I mean...if I mess this up and-"

"Diane, you can't let what happened three years ago get in the way of right now. What happened happened and you can't change that. You have to let it go or it'll keep haunting you. For King's sake, you have to let it go. You can't let your fears get the better of you with this. You need to stay focused. "Merlin said sternly. 

"I know, it's just that..last time I couldn't help him and-"

"That was then. Now you have everything you need to try to make a second chance."Diane turned to the first marked page and began to read. 

"Merlin," She called, shifting the book in her hands. "What's this..Lilandryan?"

"A flower that grows only in the fairy realm. It has many uses as far as medicine goes. When handled correctly, it can do more than you would expect from a plant. We'll get into that later and hopefully you'll see what I mean."

"Would it be okay if  I take the book with me to visit Harlequin later? It's important to me to learn this, but I still need to keep my promise.  Oslo wouldn't be too happy if we didn't go either." 

"Whatever you want, these are yours. It'll be better for you to have a copy, in case I'm not in town and he isn't feeling well."

"Thanks. " Diane sighed. 

"Diane, you seem kind of down today, if you're not ready for this, it's okay. King wouldn't want you to force yourself into something like this. From what you told me about the last time you spoke with him, he was-"

"It's not that. I had that dream again last night and it's just been bothering me, that's all. " 

"I could give you something to take before bed so you don't dream, I know how upsetting it can be." Diane shook her head.

"No. My dreams are the only place I can hear his voice and see him. I can't lose him again." 

"Maybe if you talk about it, it'll help. I've got time if you want to tell me."The mage invited. Diane hesitated, then began.

**

The sound of the knight's voice echoed in her ears as the giantess found herself back in the place where it all started.

"Fire!" The man cried,prompting Diane to brace for an impact that would never come. She squeezed her eyes closed, feeling herself beginning to panic.

"Diane!" Her heart sank, no matter how many times she dreamed of this, it never got easier. She waited for the silence to fall over her before reopening her eyes.

King was kneeling in front of her, struggling to breathe. The arrows just visible to her. She watched the crimson soak through his shirt, red droplets painted the ground around him. They were completely alone.

"King!" She cried, moving closer to him, she reached toward him.

"D-don't t-touch me." He panted angrily.  She immediately dropped her hands to her side.

"Please Harlequin, let me help-"

"Please Harlequin," He mocked. "You couldn't help yourself, what makes you think  you can help anyone else?" King coughed hard,beginning to sway unsteadily.  "What the hell is wrong with you, what good is a giant that freezes in the middle of a fight?" He spat. 

"I know, this is all my fault. I never meant for you to get hurt." King chuckled humorlessly. 

"Yeah, no one ever means anything. No one thinks about these things until it's too late. You're damn right it's your fault.  You should've known that i'd come for you, I always have. I gave you everything I had, Diane. I gave until I had nothing left, you took my life!"Diane bowed her head.

"And what have you ever given me in return?" King pressed on. 

"I-I love y-" Diane began to sob. Suddenly King raised his head.

"Do you really, Diane, you have a funny way of showing it, you know... More than once, when we were living in that cave, I told you I loved you, not just with words, I took care of you. No one wanted you, this is why. Do you remember what you said to me, when I said I'd always love you?"King waited.

"P-please-"

"Nothing!" King shouted. "Before me, all you had were rocks and if I hadn't been such a moron, I would've left you a lot sooner. I don't know how I ever loved someone like you. You couldn't even fight. ..Not even for me. You just...let me die."

**

"Then I woke up and-"She sobbed.Elizabeth threw her arms around her. 

"That sounds terrible. I'm so sorry,Diane."The princess said softly.  Ban shook his head, lifting his mug from the table next to her.

"That's all a bunch of crap and you know it." He said taking a sip. "It's just the guilt you're carrying around. It messes you up pretty bad, twists things..you know the truth. I've been through similar things with Elaine. Not being able to save her broke me in a way I couldn't have imagined.  Some of the things she said to me in those dreams made no sense.  The thing talking to me looked just like her, the voice was hers but the words weren't her at all. They were things I said to myself or believed about myself at the time. But you know in your heart that you were precious to him and you know exactly what King would say to you. He doesn't blame you and he'd never say anything even close to those things. That thing is not King, no matter how much it tries to look like him.I had to learn the hard way , do yourself a favor and  learn to take control of those dreams."

"How did you do it?"The giantess asked, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"I call her, sometimes she comes through. It feels so real..I want to reach out to her, but I lose my nerve, I couldn't handle it if I couldn't-"sorrow filled the immortal man's voice.  "Just..don't do that to yourself. You don't have anything to feel guilty about. He loved you, this was his choice to make. Now you've got one too, let it keep going or let the damn thing go."

"It's not that easy."Ban scoffed.

"I know. Told you, I've been there. I still go through it sometimes. Don't let yourself fall into that trap. If you wanna talk to King, talk to him, not yourself."Diane  gathered her books, standing from the table.  Ban was right, King wouldn't want her to blame herself,but she saw no way around it. She had ended his life, as the King had pointed out, what good could she possibly be to him now?

A/N: I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you to everyone reading and supporting this story. It means a lot.