Part 8

King had almost forgotten how bright Elaine's smile could really be. With each story she shared, the fairy king was finding a new respect for the immoral man. 

"I wish you were able to see it, Brother."Elaine said. "Then you might actually give Ban a chance. He truly does have a softer, gentler side. I know it's not easy to get to, but I promise you it's there."

"I believe you."Harlequin assured her.  "Maybe I should've taken the time to try looking past how much of a jerk he is."

"He isn't that bad. I'll admit he does have his...moments. But everyone does."She pointed out. 

"Yeah, that's true, I guess."

"But once everything slows down and it's just us, Ban's a completely different person. I-"Elaine paused, blushing slightly.

"What?"

"I...could really see myself having a life with him. We'd have a little house and maybe..."Elaine allowed her voice to trail off. King set his pillow aside.

"Okay."He said. Elaine tilted her head.

"okay?"

"You've convinced me. If he means that much to you, I'll try to be a little more understanding. I can't make any promises."Elaine embraced her brother. 

"I know you're skeptical because you want to protect me, but please remember that Ban does too. That's something you two have in common, maybe that can be your bridge."

"I guess we'll see. I'm just glad to see you so happy."

"I'm so glad I get to be your sister."Elaine tightened her grip. "When Ban comes for me, if Diane hasn't done it by then, I'll ask him to help us bring you back too." King shook his head.

"Don't worry about me. When your chance comes, take it and live your life, Elaine.  I don't want you to waste any time on something like that. I've had my chance to live with Diane and it was wonderful. I want you to have that experience with Ban."

"But I'll miss you so much, Brother."

"I'll miss you too, but I'll know that you're being taken care of, if he really is the way you described in your stories." 

"I promise he is. I just wish I didn't have to-"Elaine stopped, turning away from King suddenly.

"What is it?"Harlequin asked.

"I thought I heard-"The doorway had appeared before them as the fairies gathered. Tears filled Elaine's eyes as Ban's voice reached her ears, beckoning her to return.

"Elaine?"King called curiously. Again her arms were around him.

"Didn't you hear it, Brother, it's Ban, he's opened the door."

"I couldn't hear anything. But if it is him, you should go before the gate closes. I meant what I said.  I love you, Elaine, please don't miss your chance to be happy."

"You really are sure Brother, it just doesn't seem fai-"

"What's not fair is what I did to you. I can never make that right, but I can tell you that it's okay. When I do see you again, maybe you'll have some other stories for us. But don't come back too soon, have a wonderful, long life." He hugged her once more. 

"I love you so much, Brother. I'll make you proud." she vowed.

"I've always been proud of you. Go on now." 

"I'll give Diane your love,Brother."King nodded and thanked his sister. 

"Goodbye Lady Elaine, and thank you for everything."One of the fairies called out.  After taking a moment to say goodbye, Elaine hurried toward the exit, turning back momentarily. King offered her an encouraging smile and watched as she disappeared from sight.

***

Ban knelt on the ground, facing Elaine. The process had been difficult, demanding and exhausting.

"Come on, Elaine." he pleaded softly. "Please." moments passed and Elaine didn't stir.Ban's heart sank.He lifted her from her resting place, holding her close to him. "I'm so sorry."he said softly.  "I-I really thought I had it this time."Ban rested his forehead against Elaine's as tears began to fall. He was unaware that Diane's group had arrived. They stopped, standing silently for a moment, the giantess exchanged glances with the captain.  

"I love you so much more than I could ever tell you."Ban continued, brushing back a few strands of golden hair from the fairy's face. 

"We should give them time." Diane suggested. "let's look for the other-"

"Don't let me stop you." Ban called. "Just because I failed doesn't mean you shouldn't keep going. Just have to try again. You do what you need to do." After hesitating only a moment, Nimue moved forward, stopping beside the immortal man.

"I'm so sorry, Ban."She said softly. "Lady Elaine would've wanted you to know that you meant the world to her. Please know that she loves you dearly even now. I believe you will-"The fairy stopped, smiling faintly, she took a step back. Ban  raised his head, opening his mouth to speak, but suddenly felt a hand lightly touch his chest. He looked down to see Elaine's golden eyes staring back up at him.

"Hello Ban."She said softly. "It's been a while."She reached up, brushing away his tears. Ban smiled.

"Hey Elaine,I've missed you."

"I know. I could hear your heart calling to me, I could feel your sadness. Promise me something?"

"Anything."

"When you leave here, take me with you?"Ban smirked.

"I told you, I'll take what's mine,."He lightly pressed his lips to hers. "And you are mine."Elaine closed her eyes, the smile never leaving her face. 

"Hey, you okay?"Ban asked, suddenly concerned.

"I'm fine. I'm just so happy to be with you. I am a little tired, it takes a lot to get back through the gateway. "

"Then rest. "Ban suggested. "I got you."

"I have to see Diane first, before I forget."Diane was surprised by the request, having never met Elaine, but stepped forward as Ban got to his feet, Elaine cradled in his arms.

"That's her."the fox sin pointed out, moving to stand in front of the giantess. Elaine smiled, leaving Ban to embrace Diane. 

"Harlequin sends his love." She said. "And I want to thank you for taking care of my brother and loving him as much as you do. He talks about you all the time. He always has such beautiful stories." Diane returned the embrace. 

"Thank you. I promise I always will. I'm working on making things better for him to be with us."

"I know. If I can help, please let me know."Elaine requested. 

"I will. You should get some rest and take it easy. We'll talk soon."Elaine released her, returning to Ban. 

"I'm really happy for you two."She said. Though the giantess smiled, her eyes showed her worry. 

"Hey, you got this."Ban said sincerely. "King will be here soon. If I can get Elaine back, you can do it too. We'll catch up later."He sat back down in the grass, resting his chin on top of Elaine's head as the fairy drifted off to sleep. Diane nodded, continuing on her journey. 

'I can do this,'  she thought. 'it won't be long now until I can hold Harlequin close to me and tell him how much I love him. We'll be happy again one day soon.'