Part 6

The days passed faster than Diane had expected. The giantess spent most of her time away from the tavern, as she and Merlin practiced making the medicines. She found that she no longer had the time for being a waitress. 

"I think she's ready,Captain."Merlin announced one afternoon as the sins closed the bar.  "She picked it up quicker than I thought she would." The mage said, watching the giantess create the mixture from practice materials. 

"She's got a lot of motivation." Meliodas pointed out.  The dragon sin, read the labels on the jars in front of Diane, picking one up from the collection to examine it and place it back on the table.

"So, King gets a fever, and we need to bring it down fast-" Diane shook her head. 

"You don't. When a fairy gets a fever, you bring it down slowly, lowering it too fast isn't good for him. It depends on what causes it too, as far as what you give him. "Meliodas nodded. "They don't usually get sick so you have to be really careful. They might not be able to handle some of the medicines."

"Good."He praised. "What if it turns out king doesn't take to one of the medicines and you had no way of knowing until after you give it?"

"then I'll have to give him a special tea with Lilandryan, daisy petals and a little bit of ginger. Any mix of Lilandryan should be warm before you give it."Diane replied confidently. 

"You think you're ready for this?"

"I hope so. " She replied quietly, her confidence suddenly disappearing. 

"This has to be your call, Diane." The captain continued. "Let me know what you're sure and I'll go get him."

"I'll do it. He gave his life for me, it's only right that I do this for him."

"You know, it's not going to be the same."Meliodas warned. "Holding him like that, it won't be like before when he was alive. It never is when they're gone.Usually  it makes the pain worse. "

"I'll be okay.  I'll bring him in and then we can start out for the forest." Te Captain turned to Elizabeth.

"Looks like today's the day. We can take you home on our way to the forest if you want." The princess shook her head. 

"I'd like to stay if that's okay. "

"Are you sure, I can't tell you how long we'll be out there. It's at least three days to the Fairy King's Forest from here. "

"I'm sure. If it's okay with you, sir Meliodas." The blond took her hand.

"Always glad to have you here." By that afternoon, The sins found themselves at King's resting place. Diane stepped out, followed by Meliodas.

"You sure you don't want me to get him, he'd understand if this is too much for you."

"I'm sure. "Diane assured him.

"You want someone to go over there with you?"The giantess shook her head.

"No. I need to do this myself. Thanks, though." The captain nodded.

"If you change your mind, just let us know. We'll wait for you inside, take your time."The blond sin moved back inside, but stopped to watch from the window.  Diane crossed the short distance to King,Oslo followed closely. She knelt at the fallen fairy's side. 

"Hey King." She began. "You know, the last few days, I've been telling you about those books Merlin gave me,I think I'm finally ready. I'm still afraid though, I'm afraid I'll just-You're so precious to me, Harlequin. I don't want to mess this up, do I'll need you to help me. I promise I'll take care of you and this time, I won't let a single day go by without making sure you know I love you. I just need you to come back to me and give me that chance, okay?"She took hold of the small box Ban had given King and held it out to the hound.