Part 4

The sins gathered at the table as the sun rose the following morning. Meliodas stood at the head of the table. 

"I just want to make sure you understand that what I'm about to say isn't a guarantee. Merlin, I might need you to help with the details, you'd have a better understanding. I know you think I'm the biggest jerk in the world, Diane, and maybe you're right. But I kept this from you because whatever you might think of me,you guys are like my family and I don't like seeing any of you hurt. We all love King and I don't want to give you false hope, but if you're absolutely sure-"

"I am. Just tell me."Diane demanded. 

"The past two years, Merlin and I have been- You know when she comes around for those blood tests?"

"What about them?"

"About a year after King died, Merlin came to me and told me she might have found something that could help.  It's a long shot and there's a lot that can go wrong. We have to be really careful, fairies are..different. We tried a couple of things but it's not exactly common knowledge on how to treat a fairy. You can't just go out and get a book about it. It was a long process  and even if we somehow pulled it off, you have to understand that King-" 

"I have to try something, what do I need to do?"Diane asked.

"I'll let Merlin explain that part to you in  a minute, Do you remember what she said about him coming back?"

"Yeah, but I'll take better care-"

"Diane, we talked about that. You couldn't have done anything  differently. It wasn't about you not taking care of him, because you did. You really need to think about this,  it'll be a lot like it was before, if we get him back at all. Sometimes it might be worse, if you talk to Merlin and decide this is what you want to do, then we're with you, but you're asking a lot from him.  There could be some..side effects. "

"I have to try. I want him back." tears streamed down Diane's face as she spoke. 

"I know you do. "Meliodas turned to the fox sin. "Can you hang around for a bit?"

"I'm on a mission of my own,Captain."Ban replied.

"I know, we can work on that too" The dragon sin promised. Ban sighed, remembering his promise to King, 

"Alright, I'll stick around, but Elaine comes first." He said sternly.

"Fine, we-"

"Why can't we just get them both at-"

"Shut up and listen." Ban demanded. "I'm not saying that just to be selfish. Think about it. Once She's here, Elaine's going to know how to look after him more than any of us. She'll be able to give us an idea of what he can take and what's gonna be more harmful than helpful. If we're going to do this, wouldn't you wanna give him the best chance of living?"

"Just tell me what to do."Diane said.

"Like the Captain said, it may not work, and it'll be a long, painful process for him. I can't promise you he'll ever fully recover. The poison is still in his system and our first concern is getting it out. The method I'm going to use can only get him so far, I'll explain everything as we go through it, but he's going to have to be able to take over and fight it on his own for the most part." Diane bowed her head.

"Like last time?"

"Not exactly. By removing most of the poison, we're offering him a better chance." The mage replied.

"So King might come back but-"

"That's why we need Elaine. She's a fairy, she'll know how to help."Ban added.