Part 3

Diane drew in a breath as she and Elizabeth found themselves at King's resting place. The moonlight surrounded the fairy, creating a soft glow around him. The giantess dropped to her knees, leaning down and kissing King's forehead, fighting back a soft whimper. Oslo took his place beside her, lying down in the grass.  She took a moment to find her words.

"I-I'm here,King." She announced. "I told you I'd be back and Elizabeth's here too. The captain should be here soon and I don't know if anyone else is coming, but we're with you." She moved closer, stroking his light brown hair.

"For three years I've had to learn to live without you. Three years of the worst pain I've ever felt in my life.  Dreams that break my heart and trying to find a way through it all. I don't know how to tell you what it feels like to not have you with me. I wish I could go back, I'd make it right. We'd both be here now. " Elizabeth bowed her head, thinking back to the night that changed everything for Diane.

**

Elizabeth could hardly believe what she witnessed. The fairy king had just taken his final breath, leaving Diane  inconsolable. Her deep sobs  were too much for those around her. Meliodas had suggested they give her time to grieve, leading the princess downstairs where they found Ban.

The fox sin sat with his head in his hands. Elizabeth had never seen the man act this way, she approached slowly.

"Sir Ban, a-are you okay?" She asked quietly.

"Yeah. Fine." He replied, though it was clear he was far from his claim.  The princess wiped away her own tears, turning to the dragon sin, who leaned against the bar facing away from them. 

"I-I'm so sorry, I know Sir king was a friend to both of you and I wish there was something I could say or do to make this better for you all. I'll miss him too."

"You're here, that helps." Meliodas said.  "Can I ask you to do me a big favor?"

"Of course." Elizabeth said, eager to help. The blond didn't bother to turn to her has he spoke.

"As hard as it's going to be for us, it's going to be a lot worse for Diane. We still have it-We'll have to give him a place to rest. I don't know if she can handle that right now. She's going to be really angry with me for a while because of what I did. I made a promise to make sure she was okay, could you just be there with her when it's time, I think she'll be okay with you." 

"Yes. I'll do anything I can. But are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah, it's just...an adjustment. We'll move forward like we always do. When one falls, the others keep going in their memory. You don't have to worry about us. It's just hard to believe he's gone." 

***

The soft rustling of the grass pulled the princess from her memory. Meliodas placed the basket down beside her quietly, Hawk sat behind them. They waited for Diane to finish. 

"Elizabeth, if you still want to, you can tell him what you wanted now." She sobbed. 

"Good idea, I think we should all say a few words."Ban tossed his bag on the ground, holding a small wooden box in his hand. 

"Hey Ban, I didn't think you'd be here." Meliodas greeted.

"Can't miss something like this. I'll be gone in the morning. Hey Diane, you mind if I put this over there?"Diane turned, staring at the man in curiosity.

"What is it?"She asked gesturing to the box.

"Tradition." Ban answered. "Apparently when fairies-you know...you can make one of these and put little presents inside as a sign of respect."

"What did you carve into it?" the giantess studied the piece carefully.

"Not much." He moved closer to King, laying the gift beside him.

"Been a long time, King." He said, returning to the group. 

"Are we ready to start?" Meliodas asked, pushing himself to  his feet.  "After Elizabeth's done, we'll-"

"Sorry I'm late, it took a little longer to find what I was looking for." Merlin interrupted. She carried with her a small stack of books"

""We haven't started yet. I didn't think you'd be here until tomorrow." The blond said.

"Well, plans have been known to change, Captain. I figured Diane would be interested in our-"

"We can talk about that later." The dragon sin said quickly.Diane looked from the Captain to Merlin.

"Interested in what?"

"Captain didn't tell you?"The giantess shook her head. 

"I told you, you should've said something." Hawk added. 

"Someone better tell me something."Diane insisted. 

"There's a reason I didn't say anything. Did you really want to do this now?" Diane settled herself back onto the ground, glaring at the blond.

"You're right. We came here for King. When we get back, you'll tell me."

"I don't know if it's the right time to bring this up, you-"

"I wasn't asking, Captain. You'll tell me. I have a right to know what's going on."The dragon sin nodded.

"okay. I just hope you don't end up regretting it.  Just know that I was trying to protect you ."

"You don't need to protect me. You need to tell me the truth." She turned back toward the fairy. Meliodas shared a glance with the dark haired mage, who offered a short nod. The captain moved to stand behind the fairy facing the sins. He took in a breath before speaking.

"We all know why we're here  tonight. Three years ago today, King took his last breath. We're here in celebration of his life and to thank him for the many sacrifices he's made for the ones he loved. I know some of us have already said a few things, so I'll invite everyone else to speak and we'll move onto the next part." Elizabeth stood up, taking her chance. Diane however couldn't get her mind off of the conversation to come.  She hoped for the captain's sake, he told her everything.