Part 7

Diane sank to her knees as she realized where she was. 

"Please don't." she whispered as the figure appeared before her.  She had recently begun to call it the Red King. 

"You're the reason we're here at all. You did this."the fairy growled, turning to force Diane to fully see the arrows protruding from his body as well as his crimson soaked shirt. 

"Please stop, King. I love you so much and I'm trying to make it right. I'm going to bring you back-"the red king laughed.

"You want me to stop, did you ever stop to think that maybe I actually wanted to live, maybe I had plans for the future? But then, why would I want to come back to someone like you, what good are you to me, I gave it all up for you and you left me lying on the ground without a second thought." Diane shook her head.

"That's not true. I think about you all the time. I didn't want to leave you. I miss you so much it hurts. I'm lost without you and you have no idea how much I wish I had taken you with me. That I hadn't done it at all. It was so painful to say goodbye to you."She sobbed.

"Don't you dare talk to me about pain!" The red King shouted. "You don't know what pain is. Have you ever felt the piercing pain of three arrows going into your body, or the feeling of being so terribly sick and weak that you wish you were dead?" He narrowed his eyes at her. "Of course you don't, because I was there to take that pain.  I laid in that bed for three excruciating days, Diane. You have no right to say a word to me about pain." Her heart shattered at the words and she could no longer look at him, she sobbed into her palms.

"Don't you dare look away from me!" He raged. She could suddenly feel his presence now in front of her, it's warm, shallow breaths near her ear.

"Look at me." It hissed. "Look at what you've done to the only one in the world that ever cared about you." 

"Y-You're not my Harlequin." She sobbed, recalling Ban's words. 

"I'm a lot better off where I am now, actually..away from you. You're probably just going to kill me again in the process.  You aren't good at anything and you know it. You didn't deserve me anyway. A giant that can't fight, the one thing you were born to do, it's pathetic. Do us both a favor and don't even try. We both know you'll fail. "

"This is too much..Harlequin, please...I need you."

"Obviously you didn't need me that much or you wouldn't have done this."

"No, I-You're  not my Harlequin." She repeated. "Please Harlequin, help me, make him stop!" She cried out through deep sobs. 

"Look at me!" The red king demanded. "Because of you, I'm dead!"

"So shut up and die already, geez."At the sound of the voice, Diane uncovered her eyes just in time to see a second king standing in front of her. His clothes free of crimson stains. He forced the red king back away from her. 

"H-Harlequin?" She choked through her sobs. The fairy turned and smiled.

"It's okay, Diane."He soothed in his usual gentle tone. He knelt beside her. "How long as this been happening?"

"Since I let you d-"

"Do you know what that is?"He asked pointing to the red creature.  Diane nodded.

"My guilt, I know I  brought it here."

"That's right, but now it's time to get rid of it. "

"I can't." She cried.

"You can. I'm going to help you. It shouldn't get to hurt you anymore."Diane glanced over at the crimson fairy, it's anger was growing.

"Don't pay attention to it, it's just you and me, okay?"King gave a reassuring smile. "All you have to do is tell me what happened."