3. The Morning (ft. a morning conversation with Sakusa)

Word Count: 1599

"Oi, (l/n)!" Nishinoya shouts from one end of the gym. "Come practice serve receives with us!" He crouches down into a defensive stance. On the opposite side of the court, Asahi tosses the ball high into the air, jumps up, and hits it with incredible strength.

"RoOoOoOoOoOoOllllllllinG THUNDAHHHH!" Nishinoya launches into a flashy dive and sends the ball to the front of the net. It lands where the setter would be.

Something stiff begins to prod my shoulder. I brush it away, but it resumes. I can't take it any longer and turn to confront my attacker.

    "Tobio?"

    'WAKE UP!" He shrieks.

My vision fogs up as soon as I open my eyes, but like clouds of mist during an onslaught of wind, it clears instantaneously. A figure takes up my field of view. It's Windex Wanda- also known as Sakusa Kiyoomi. His hair is wild, and of course he's one of the rare human beings that look good in the morning. He's dressed in gray sweatpants and a black t-shirt that says 'Billie Jean'.

"I thought you were dead." Sakusa states tersely. His precious windex is nowhere to be seen, but he's clutching a broom, and somehow that's even more concerning.

"Nice broomstick. Did you get your Hogwarts acceptance letter?"

"I'm not a wizard, (l/n)." He informs me, his tone deadpan. Whether that was meant to be a movie reference, I have no idea. "I used this to poke you awake."

"You've got to be kidding me!" I jolt out of bed and frantically look for my hairbrush before realizing I never unpacked. "How long was I asleep?"

"It's..." He checks his iPhone 11. "5 am, so you got approximately 9 hours of rest. I figured you'd want to shower after being on the bullet train." I'm tempted to argue on behalf of the (clean!) bullet train or pummel his ribs for waking me up AT THE BUTT CRACK OF DAWN, but instead I mumble a thank you, because a shower sounds lovely.

"I'll head to the Furudate dorms to shower." I grab a change of clothes from one of my duffle bags and other necessities before proceeding to head out the door.

    "(l/n)." Sakusa blurts out at the last second.

    "Yeah, Sakusa?"

"I was... out of line yesterday. I have a bit of a... fangirl problem, so I assessed the situation and assumed..." He lightly wrings his hands as if it will conjure the right words.

"I recall you saying something about being better than Ushijima?"

"I-"

"And that I should know who you are?"

Sakusa grimaces. "I'm sort of sensitive when it comes to my skills. Anyways, I regret what I said." He takes a deep breath. "I'm sorry."

He says it so fast, I almost miss it. Did he really just apologize? He shoots me an antagonizing glare and mutters "I hate apologizing" under his breath, which answers my question.

"I know what you mean. I don't like apologizing either, but it's not so bad once you get used to it." I grin at him. "Thanks, Sakusa. I hope we can become friends."

"Maybe." He doesn't meet my eyes. "I really do feel bad about yesterday, so I was going to offer to accompany you to breakfast. It's your first time here, right?"

"Indeed it is. If the offer still stands, I'd appreciate it."

Sakusa runs a hand through his hair. "I'll meet you here after my morning run."