20. No Thoughts Head Empty (ft. Miya twins and Kuroonavirus)

Word Count: 2154

A/N: damn
Also voting for chapters is sexy ;)

"They've played three matches back to back so far, but Itachiyama is not holding back!" The moderator's voice blares, only to be drowned out by the cheers of the crowds.

Itachiyama is 2 points away from winning their third match, the last one before finals. They've been maintaining defense with precise fluidity and going on the offensive with clever feints and crushing spikes. Iizana, preparing to set the ball, goes for a tip at the last second.

"Damn it!" I hear the captain of Nohebi curse as he dives for the ball, popping it up before sprawling onto the floor. It barely clears the net, only to be spiked down by Sakusa. He stares down at the captain- Daishou's his name, I think- seemingly enjoying the moment.

"Snakes are born to lie in the dirt." I manage to hear from the bench. Daishou literally hisses back at him.

"Mr. Clean is even scarier than usual today." Matsuda says from the sidelines, laughing airily while the first years shudder in fear. He turns to the head coach. "I thought he'd be off his game, but Sakusa's on fire."

The coach nods sagely, and I find myself looking at him differently now that I know he basically trained and recruited Sakusa when he was only 13. "I thought the same as you, Matsuda. I actually checked up on Sakusa towards the end of warm ups. Turns out he met some new people shortly after we arrived... maybe it pleased him."

Kuroo, you beautiful bastard. I find myself grinning, though a pit of guilt curls in my stomach.

Nohebi uses their last time out, and the Itachiyama players come off the court with smiles on their faces. "One more!!" I cheer, rising to greet them. "You're so close to finals!"

"Sakusa, you really went off on Daishou!" Komori says, earning a small smile from Sakusa.

"I'm playing well today." He replies modestly. The coach begins to talk, but I move closer to Sakusa.

"Sakusa, we've talked about your ego problem." I say in a hushed tone. "Did you have to say that?"

Sakusa fixes me with a cold stare. "I told you," he whispers with a sigh, keeping his eyes on the coach, "that change would take time. (l/n), you're an amazing person. But I'm a person too. You always tell me that, so please treat me like one."

When Sakusa scores the final point, there isn't a trace of a smile on his face. He stands on the court, his expression void of emotion, as if seeing the roaring audience with new eyes.

...

We have a half hour break before the final match. The Itachiyama volleyball team heads off in different directions, seeking to buy merchandise or eat a quick snack. Komori is ambling by my side, a bright smile on his face; he's talking a mile a minute, but I ignore him. I can't find Sakusa.

"Did you see Daishou? He's most definitely a slytherin. Oh, and I have three nipples." Komori says casually.

"Mhm." I say, scanning the thin crowds. No sign of Sakusa. I'm about to check the restrooms when two hands grip my shoulders, spinning me around, until I find myself face to face with an upset Komori.

"You clearly aren't listening. Something's on your mind." He says, disappointment evident. "I know you and Sakusa are still going through personal stuff, but I- I'm your friend."

I give him a wobbly smile and push Sakusa as far from my mind as possible. "Sorry Komori. I got a little side tracked. What would you like to do? We can shop, get food..." Komori cuts me off with a shake of his head.