9. While You Were Sleeping Pt. 2 (ft. Sakusa and Harry Potter)

Word Count: 1761

a friendly reminder: if you enjoy this story, it would mean a lot to me if you could vote :)

By the time Sakusa returns from his post practice shower it's nearly 10:30 pm, and although the sun fell long ago, I know he won't be opposed to staying up with me. Sakusa gets up at dawn every school day like clockwork, but his schedule completely shuffles once Friday rolls around. We've had some of our best conversations at 3 am; the intangible bridge between night and day.

I watch Sakusa's neutral expression morph into one of mild confusion as he takes in the colorful assortment of snacks I picked up from the on campus 7-11, (Japan's 7-11's are top tier) and then the spare pillows and blankets I found in my closet, which have been arranged to form a cozy nook perfect for a movie night. I'm already bundled up and pressed against the wall, a pillow at my back to provide maximum comfort.

"Is someone coming over?" he asks, a hint of mild irritation in his even tone. His hair is damp and falls over his face in long strands, a stark contrast to his usual curls.

"Are you really that dense?" I pat the pillow beside me. "We're watching Harry Potter, Sakusa! It's a cult classic, and I know you're not planning on going to sleep early."

With a simple nod, Sakusa obliges and settles down a foot away from me, keeping his distance as usual. "Good. You see, I'm not up to cleansing the room tonight." He explains tersely.

Even so, I can tell he's pleased: his eyes are practically burning a hole through the packaged umeboshi I snagged earlier. He glances at me as if asking for permission, and I send him a grin in response. I made sure to get his favorite food since he rarely has time to go shopping in between school and practice, not to mention that he's too scared to enter convenience stores these days.

"They aren't vaccinated." He'd told me earlier that week when I suggested we stock up on snacks.

"The workers?"

"No, the stores."

"What the fuck?" I'd said, barely able to contain my laughter. Vaccinated or not, Sakusa hasn't been to a single convenience store since the virus outbreak, which makes the umeboshi even more special.

"What's the occasion?" Sakusa inquires, tearing into the plastic packaging. "I can't believe you got me umeboshi... thank you."

"No problem. I know you've been training extra hard for qualifiers so I figured you deserve a break." I choose my next words carefully, thinking back to Oikawa and Iwaizumi's instructions. "I know it's kinda... uh- a lot, but hey, only the best for my roommate." I finish, successfully steering clear of the word 'friend'.

"You deserve a break as much as I do." His stiff posture visibly relaxes as he leans against the wall, his eyes closing as he swallows a salted plum. "I never thought we'd have a female manager, but I'm glad I endorsed you so readily. It's been good for the team, and I like having you there, too."

I can't help but laugh, partly because Sakusa talks like a 40 year old banker sometimes, and partly because I'm absolutely WHIPPED and Sakusa just told me he likes 'having me there'. "Thanks for believing in my stock market potential."

A faint smile traces his lips. It's been a whole month, but that smile- big or small or barely there- kills me every damn time. "Pleasure doing business with you."

This. These snippets of witty banter we engage in without having to force anything, everything coming together smoothly; this effortless push and pull, like the tide rolling over soft sand, even though Sakusa struggles with maintaining a steady stream of conversation. When Sakusa decided he wanted to get to know me better, to be friends even, he wasn't kidding around. He's made a genuine attempt to be more open with me, whether it be by saying a simple thank you (no matter what his pride tells him) or making little jokes here and there. Ever since our aggressive heart to heart, neither of us have backed down from what conspired that night.