Back at It!

I take a deep breath.

"Avi and Kevin are fine. Avi has a broken arm and a back brace. Kirstie on the other hand...she has minor brain damage and doesn't remember anything. Just me and you. She doesn't remember Pentatonix or even Avi or Kevin."

Mitch quickly types back. What do you mean? We have a career this is the only thing getting me through!

He throws the phone. His heart rate goes up.

"Mitch calm down." I silence his monitor.

He gets his heart rate back to normal and calms down. I sort of lecture him.

"Listen, you'll be fine. You can sing and you live with your best friend so I can help you. We can learn sign language together. Avi and Kevin will be fine after a while. We will have to figure out something for Kirstie."

He lets a tear slip and I hand him his phone.

What if Kirstie never remembers us?

I don't know what to say. "I guess...we just have to hope and pray that she does."

Mitch was crying. It's so hard to see Mitch cry. He's such a happy person.

I give him a hug and let him cry on my shoulder. It's a lot to take in at once.

We stay like this for a moment and I see Kevin pushing Avi in a wheelchair. They come into the room.

"Just told about Kirstie." I mouth.

Kevin nods and signals that they'll be in the TV area.

I sit Mitch up. "Hey. Let's look at the bright side. This could be temporary, and you might get to go home soon."

He smiles a fake smile but I don't say anything.

I stand up. "I'm gonna go visit Kirstie. Text me if you need anything."

He nods and I walk to Kirstie's room. There's a nurse walking out when I walk in. She stops me. "Are you Scott?"

I nod.

She smiles. "It turns out that Kirstie remembers most things up to college. We talked and she knows nothing of your singing group. I'm a huge fan by the way."

I thank her and enter Kirstie's room. She looks up at me.

"So, we're in a group? Like, a big one? Not just a trio?"

"Yeah. You're the only girl."

"Oh! That's cool. So I just need to learn...everything." Her smile drops.

I take her hand. "It's okay. You'll just have to learn again. Me, Kevin and Avi will teach you. They're the beat boxer and bass."

"Oh. I'll meet them later, I guess. What about Mitch?"

"He uh-" I thought about how to tell her. "He doesn't speak."

"What do you mean he doesn't speak? He's literally the loudest person."

"Well...the car crash it affected his brain. Some of his nerves were damaged."

She looks down. "Can he sing?"

I quickly nod. "Of course."

She sighs in relief.

"How are you taking this so well?" I ask.

She shrugs. "I believe you, you're my best friend."

I smile and hug her. "Thanks. Wanna meet Avi and Kevin?" She nods and I go get them.

They walk in. "I'm Avi."

"I'm Kevin."

Kirstie smiles. "They seem nice."

I nod. "Well, sometimes." Avi punches my shoulder and Kirstie giggles.

"You took the news really well Kirstie." I say.

She shrugs. "After what just happened, I need some good news."

I smile. "I'm just glad we're all alive. It's the holidays anyway so we have a break from tour."

A nurse comes in. "Mitch and Kirstie seem stable so you can go whenever. Just sign the release papers."

I take the papers and Esther signs them since she's the oldest.

We get all of our stuff and get all of our pain medication and head to the bus, since the car is wrecked. Thank god the bus has a ramp.

After we get on we relax for a few minutes and then Kevin says "Back to work."

On the road again.....