6

He was staring at the wall on his left, and my right. It was a plain wall. His father couldn't keep any of the decor after Kerran's mum died. He couldn't bear to see anything that reminded him even remotely of his wife. It was a wonder how he continued to live here, till he died. Kerran left shortly after, so he couldn't even decorate it back.

I looked back into Kerran's eyes. He seemed to be reliving memories. It definitely didn't seem like they were good ones.

"People knew who I was where I went. Just because I had to wear this stupid cape as a forewarning of what I am. They were all scared of me." He explained, then paused, turning his eyes, till his gaze collided with mine in full force. There was something in his eyes I just couldn't identify. Or maybe I just didn't want to admit it because I'd never seen it in his eyes.

"Tell me. What do you think people do when they're scared of something?" He asked me. His face was emotionless now, and so was the tone of his voice. But his eyes. His eyes said it all. There was an ice within his eyes that sent chills down my spine, and I wasn't sure I wanted to know what it was the people did anymore. He didn't give me a choice though. He just went ahead and said it.

"They kill it. Or at least, they try to." The ice within his eyes had bled into his voice, even if it was below the surface. You couldn't have missed it. He couldn't keep it contained. I didn't want to hear anymore. His nearly vacant eyes were freaking me out. My poor Kerran. To think of all the things he'd been through.

I crossed the distance between us in short strides and hugged him. My anger? What anger? It was long gone. I didn't care that I was meant to be angry with him and I really didn't want to listen to the tales of his journeys. I didn't need to. But then again, I did need to. Both for his sanity and mine. I had to.

He was still frozen in shock from the reaction I gave him, because he didn't even try to wrap his arms around me. I could still see the shock written all over his face. His mouth partially opened from a silent gasp he probably released when I slammed into him. His arms were still in the air as though he didn't know what to do with them.

He just stood blinking down at me in shock. He honestly didn't expect my reaction, and neither did I. But that was ok. I held his gaze as I slowly lowered his hands to my waist.

He remained marvelling at me for a few more minutes before he finally spoke. "I really want to tell you the things that happened. The things I went through all those years. But I have a feeling it'll break you and you're finally going to cry. And I just don't want to be the one to make you cry."

"I will not be the one to hurt you ever again." He told me firmly, raising his right hand to my left cheek, rubbing it slowly with his thumb. He had avoided skin to skin contact since we met for some reason. I hadn't noticed because I was too occupied with my anger. Now though, with his hand on my cheek... My eyes closed in bliss. Utter satisfaction. It felt like a fire was spreading from where his hand touched my cheek, sending tingles down my neck.

Then he yanked both his hands back. His eyes closed as though he was in pain. And when he opened his eyes, his face was set in stone.

"You don't truly forgive me yet." He stated matter-of-factly. Maybe I didn't and he was right. I didn't know. I couldn't think straight. One thing I did know was that I loved him. I still loved him. I could forgive him when I made him work for it, but that wasn't my priority at the moment.

His priorities seemed to be the opposite of mine, as he stepped back from me when I stepped up to hug him again.

"No, Nora. Until I've made up for every hurt I've caused you, I will not touch you unless I need to and I won't let you touch me either unless you need to. You'll thank me later. I'll start making up for it by telling you the tales of my journey. But that'll have to wait till the next time we meet. I have a feeling we'll be needed soon. We'd better get back to the water room. Let's get a move on." He commanded, picking up my jacket, helping me into it.

He stepped back and turned away, heading for his room, while I pulled my hair out of the back of my jacket. I followed him into his room. He was probably going to change into his armour and he'd need help, even though he might not ask this time. I knew he was being serious when he said he won't let me touch him and he won't touch me either. I saw the resolve in his eyes. I wondered what could have him so determined.

His door was still open, so he probably didn't mind me watching him. He took off the shirt he was wearing, tossing it to the bed, then pulled on the black shirt he wore before, picking up the chest piece of his armour.

He pulled it on over his head, but as he tried to strap it, I stopped him.

"Stop." I commanded. "Let me help."

He raised a brow probably about to ask if I didn't hear him say he wouldn't let me touch him. His eyebrow piercing glinted in the dark.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not touching you. I'll be touching your chest piece." I explained.

He tilted his head left studying me, then nodded curtly at me.

I strode up to him quickly, fastening the buckles across the chest piece, before he could change his mind. I helped him wear and tighten his other pieces, before I finally helped him put on his jacket. I adjusted the collar fiddling with the lapels, making sure it looked ok. He could tell I was stalling, but he said nothing. Did nothing. He just left me to do as I wished. Probably so he won't have to touch me but I didn't care.

I wanted to stay right here with him, even if we spent the time doing nothing. It was fine, 'cause he was back.