"But, your majesty, a war is coming, whether you acknowledge it or not. And we will fight, against your sister and Kerran. He isn't on our side, so yes, against him. He already decided what side he wanted to be on in this war, and I did too many years ago." I pointed out.

She placed her fingers on her temples, rubbing slowly. "You didn't have much of a choice then." She answered exasperated.

"I knew then when I got into the army. I knew when I swore my allegiance to the throne. I knew what I was doing. So no you can't use that as an excuse." I said matter-of-factly.

"I knew you'd say that, but think about this. You came into my army because you had no home, no family other than your sister. Your only other family had left you. You felt hurt, angry and betrayed. I let you join because I knew all of your family. Your parents and Kerran's. I wanted you to channel those emotions productively. That's why I let you in."

I didn't say anything.

"But that's not why I made you my second in command. I gave you that post because you proved yourself capable. I can only detain you for so long. You have a choice. Now I have a feeling that young man would be back to either talk to you or take you away. When he does, listen to him and leave with him. Not because I don't want you here, but because you deserve better. You also have my permission to take your sister. I'll find something to tell your soldiers." She assured.

"Your Majesty, I can't- He won't- You can't-" I didn't even know how to dissuade her.

"I can't what?" She asked, her left brow raised in question. "I'm the Queen. It is my duty to do what I think is best for my people."

"Yes, Your Majesty. You're right, Your Majesty." I said hoping to placate her.

She seemed to think I was patronising her instead.

"Don't patronise me Nora, I'm being serious. I want you to be happy. As your friend it's my duty to make sure you have a happy ending too." She exclaimed.

Did I forget to mention she is also my friend? I owed her my life. But that wasn't why I considered her a friend. She was my friend because she genuinely loved me and cared about me. Even taking my sister and I under her wing when no one did.

So yes I loved her. Even though her suggestions were a little overboard at times.
For example, the one she was giving now.

"I'm not patronising you, Your Majesty. I wouldn't dare." I told her with furrowed brows, hurt she would think so.

"Oh for the love of all things good, I've told you to stop calling me Your Majesty." She groaned.

"And for the love of all things good, I've told you it's professional." I mocked her. She glared at me and I snickered.

"My best friend wouldn't have to call me 'Your Majesty." She moaned using her index and middle fingers to massage her head.

"I know, Alea. But it's professional to." I explained softly growing serious. "Priority is your safety. With the safety comes professionalism. You're the heart of the country. Which is also why I can't leave your side to run off into the sunset with...how did you put it again? 'The love of my life'." I placed emphasis on 'The love of my life'.

"And again your best friend can't ditch you in this mess all alone, can she?" I asked slyly.

She groaned in annoyance and smacked my arm. "I hate you." She declared before grumbling under her breath, something along the lines of 'using my words against me'.

I snorted. "You dug your own grave." I told her.

It was very rare I got to see her act all girly and childlike over anything. The weight of her title leaned heavily on her shoulders and formality was the norm for us now, irrespective of our friendship. Our friendship was an odd one considering even age, with her being older by 4 years.

It was hard to find someone you could actually trust when you rule a kingdom. She could only trust few people. But the older she grew, the fewer people she trusted and as of now they were limited to three people. Her husband, my sister and I.

The king wasn't born into nobility, which explained his preferences in war. He was a strategic thinker, but he was never taught to fight, being brought up on a farm not in a castle. Alea told me that it caused problems when she brought him home to her parents to announce they were already married. I didn't even ask. I didn't even want to know how they met. She liked getting her own way so I wasn't even surprised.

Of course she taught him how to spar. She still practices with him but he had what he liked. She just taught him as a precaution. They worked well together. I admired them.

So you can see my overprotectiveness of Alea didn't stem from my oath. It was genuine, from our relationship. I didn't mind the odd relationship between Alea and I. I just wanted her to know I would always be here for her no matter how tempting whatever she used to bribe me was.

Although I didn't really think there was anything extreme she could use to get me to leave with Kerran. There was the fact that I still hadn't heard the whole story. And the fact that my soldiers depended on me. And most importantly, I couldn't just pull my sister out of the life she was used to. Just because I'm in love with that lovable idiot called Kerran.

'Oh no... I just said I was in love with Kerran. I don't even know if he's telling the truth.' I thought. At this rate I was going to get everyone I loved killed.

I really couldn't let my emotions cloud my judgement... but unfortunately, that was exactly what I did.