The castle was extremely quiet for the first time in years. The Queen was also one of the victims, which unfortunately made everything worse. I couldn't take very general decisions without the permission of the Queen.

However, when the epidemic struck I had to take drastic decision that affected the fate of my people.

I had found some of the castle staff who had not fallen victim of the epidemic, and had encouraged them to focus on taking care of the rest of those within the castle.

The King too had fallen prey to the epidemic, so I had assigned a male castle staff to take care of him when I couldn't. Robert, his personal guard to be precise. The one I had assigned to him from the very beginning. He was always very picky with food so we allowed him to cook his own food. I guess that came in handy now.

I also persuaded the doctor to help spread the information we had so far to the families he visited.

Every night, I met up with Kerran in my room and we discussed ways to flush out the herb's toxins. The doctor suggested making the victims drink water to flush whatever toxins the herbs released into the bloodstream.

I was worried. My sister, Anne, was apparently one of the victims and it hurt to know. When I told Kerran, he got even more annoyed. It was getting harder to keep him calm and not do anything about it. After about five days, some medicine was made to remove excess and harmful waste and toxins from the body and neutralize the effects. And just in time too.

The medicine was provided for every victim to take consistently till it was confirmed that they were healthy as a horse.

The drugs didn't take too long. They were to be taken once in the morning and once in the night for three days and I had taken care of Anne, her Majesty, Alea and her husband, King Reihan those days. Kerran cooked, and I fed them and made sure they rested. By the fifth day after using their medicine, they were back to their feet.

Everyone's movements were sluggish but their recovery was amazing. Her majesty could walk again without her legs feeling wobbly, as well as Anne and King Reihan. Alea had insisted walking place to place to build her strength back up. She ensured King Reihan went with her on those walks because in her words, 'He is lazy as a sloth, if I'm not there to get him off his arse.'

He didn't complain though. He looked rather elated at the fact he was going on a walk with her. Matter of fact, he didn't mind doing anything she wanted long as he did it with her.

Their love made me wonder sometimes, how it'll be to have a love like that. That was before Kerran came back. Now I couldn't even imagine what would have happen had he not come back.

Speaking of Kerran, he came every night as usual but he always slept over in my room. I didn't know why but I wasn't complaining, so I didn't see the need to ask why. I liked his presence, and I craved it all day.

He stayed with me, and we spoke about the epidemic and how everyone was doing. He kept asking about Anne. Anne had always been like his baby. He loved her a lot. So the fact she could have died fuelled his anger at  Tania.

He wanted to see Anne and make sure she was fine, in person, but I didn't let him. I, myself had only seen her once or twice on the training grounds, but that was only when I consciously searched for her.

Asides that she was practically invisible, but I knew she was taking care of herself. I made sure. I had two of my soldiers separately giving me reports on how she was. Besides that little fact, I didn't treat her different than how I treated the rest of my soldiers.

I decided, I'd let him see her when the war was over. Assuming we were all still alive by then, but I had faith that Lady Luck would side with us.

We spoke till I was tired, and he'd let me till I slept. His warmth was nice and so was the heat that emanated from him when we touched. It was a welcome kind of heat, especially with the weather getting more treacherous everyday as though there was a storm coming. As though it knew a war was coming.

The preparation for the war was gruelling, especially for those who had been fatigued. They had to be whipped back into shape, because we were not taking any changes, but they had all recovered quick.

Everyday I came to the room more tired than ever and nothing seemed to cheer me up except Kerran's presence, and he noticed.

On one of the evenings after another gruelling training, I walked into the room, seeing Kerran sitting on my bed, his back against the headboard as he stared at the ceiling. He wore a black shirt as always,but for once, his black pants weren't leather. Hus feet were bare, his legs stretched out on the bed before him. I was about ready to curl up at Kerran's side and sleep without even taking my armour off, with only one thought in my head.

"I wish this war would end already. Better yet, it shouldn't happen."

My subconscious had been suspiciously silent too these past few weeks, and I didn't mind the lack of debates and arguments in my head. It was peaceful.

"So do I." I heard Kerran reply.

"What?" I asked, wondering what he was talking about. I changed my mind and started to remove pieces of my armour.

"I said so do I." He repeated. I still couldn't fathom the situation.

"I didn't say anything what in luck's name is he referring to?"

"You said that you wished the war would end or better yet not happen. So I replied." He reminded me, tilting his head left like he usually did as though he was listening to something I couldn't hear. His face looked curious and confusion swam in his eyes. I stopped when I heard what he said. I could guess my face was a mirror image for he emotions facing across his face.

"Kerran," I started, and he straightened his head, still looking straight at me. "I didn't say anything out loud. I said that in my head. It was a thought." I told him.

"It was?" He tilted his head left again, looking even more curious and confused.

"Yes, Kerran, it was." I told him slowly, with narrowed eyes, while nodding to each word, like he wouldn't understand if I said it any faster.

He furrowed his brows in further confusion. "Then how did I hear it?"

I raised a brow at him in incredulity. "Um, I believe I should be asking you that, but the fact that you're asking me, says that you have no idea about it, so I'll simply pretend it never happened."

Then I smiled politely at him as I finished taking the last pieces off. He straightened his head back.

"I'm not sure that'll help anyone." He said raising his left brow as well. I sighed.

"Kerran, I'm tired, and I'm not even sure I'm that surprised at anything out of the ordinary anymore. Let's just get some sleep." I told him, climbing into the bed.

"You need to change first, Nora. You're not getting into this bed till you change." He crossed his arms over his chest. My eyes fell to his arms tracing the movement, then his chest, momentarily distracted. His shirt clung to his chest like second skin.

He saw me. I knew because of the smirk on his face but he said nothing. I didn't say anything about it either.

"Kerran. I'm tired." I groaned in annoyance.

His smirk disappeared and his face was stern. "No, Nora. Change. Now." He ordered.

I groaned again.

"Darn!" I cursed in my head as I left the bad and made my way to my wardrobe to get my nightwear.

"I heard that!"

"Then you can hear this too. This hearing my thoughts arrangement is going to be a huge pain in the arse."

He laughed as I took the clothes and slipped into the bathroom. I shut the door and I couldn't help but smile his laughter was contagious, but he won't be laughing in a few days if my thoughts had anything to do with it.