24

THOUGH JAY HAD ASKED the question, he seemed utterly shocked by the answer. He was leaning back, watching Clarkson in silence, before speaking up again.

"You don't like the famous ambassador Ryder?" he said," why not?"

"Because of the way he send you here," Clarkson said," because of the way he didn't ask if this was going to be a safe and good space for you, but instead if this was the best place to hide you. So although I normally am not really one for reforming programmes, I said yes to taking you in." He leaned towards Jay, eyes sincere. "You're one of mine now, son, and I'll make sure this is a safe space for you."

No emotion crossed Jay's face for a moment, but when it did it was something so silently grateful, so softly happy that the principal couldn't help but smile.

"How about becoming a teacher here?" he said," I know it sounds like a wild idea, but I think you'd do well."

"Me? A teacher?" Jay laughed. "I'd be awful. Probably would fight with the students all the time."

"You'd be great," Clarkson said," I think you would really care for them."

"Yeah, sure," Jay mused," until they wouldn't listen. What do I do then?"

"Just make sure you make a big entrance," Clarkson smiled.

Jay waved at Clarkson's tracksuit, the color of today purple. "Is that why you insist on wearing those hideous things?"

Clarkson's laugh was booming. "Son, the moment I decided not to care for appearances anymore was more freeing than anything else." He looked at Jay's outfit, his Armani shirt and Gucci pants seeming more like a decoration than anything else. "Perhaps you should do so as well, Jay. I honestly think you'd find it comfortable."

"Me?" Jay said," never."

"I'll give you some time to think about it," Clarkson said," not just the teacher thing, just other things you'd like to do. I don't want to push you, Jay, I'm just here to help you. So decide what you, not your father, what you really want to do."

He turned his attention towards Mateo then. "Well, how about you, son?"

"What?" Mateo said," me becoming a teacher?"

"Not exactly," Clarkson said," though you'd always have a place at this school, I don't think you want that." He glanced at Mateo, eyes without judgement. "What do you want?"

"I don't know," Mateo said sincerely, rubbing his neck," something with my hands, I guess? I'm good at fighting too, not sure if I can do anything with that. A professional martial artist, perhaps?"

"Though you'd do great," he said," you never know for certain if your carreer will take off as a professional fighter. I think something more stable would be better."

"Like?" Mateo said," I really can't imagine doing much. How did you know what you wanted to do, sir? What made you make up your mind?"

"Me?" Clarkson said, looking away then, lost in time," it wasn't a certainty for me either. When I was younger, I probably knew less about what I wanted than you." His eyes went back towards the two of them. "I was from the bad side of town, even then, so I really couldn't afford college. So I did the only thing I could think of - I enrolled in the army at eighteen. They had offered to pay for my education as well if I did, so for me I really couldn't find a better deal."