31

MILO AND LUCA LOOKED like they'd rather be anywhere else but here and Gabriela didn't doubt it. There weren't many people voluntarily at a St Joseph camp, no matter how much fun most of them eventually had in a place without rules. Though she knew it was originally made to set them straight, nowadays it seemed to have strayed so far from it's purpose that it just felt like a place to let loose.

Though Amir seemed way too well-mannered for this place, Luca and Milo seemed made for it. Luca's cheekbone was shaded with blue and his knuckles were red with dried up blood, like he had hit something just before coming here. Milo however seemed more calm, his checkered pants and oversized blazer a sharp contrast against Luca's simple shirt and jeans. Both of them screamed danger though, just in a different language.

The crowd dispersed, all of them having lost interest, and she was just about to leave too when the principal called out to her.

"Gabriela, can you come here and help them on their way?"

In response she raised an eyebrow. "Why me?"

"You are good at getting new students to settle in," the principal smiled, his gaze wandering across Sahar," you've proven that." He shook his head then. "And Luca and Milo arrived so late that their groups already have formed one together in their absence. Can they stay with you until I manage to create a new one?"

His promise of getting her out of St Joseph flashed before her eyes and she nodded. Her future seemed like it was made of glass these days and she was a minute away from shattering. If she didn't get her scholarship she really wouldn't know what to do, though she knew that too would not go well with St Joseph's stain on her college resume.

This was not the time to worry about that though, so she shoved those thoughts aside and nodded. "Sure."

"How fun," Sahar beamed.

"Depends on your definition of fun," Gabriela shrugged, gaze absent-mindedly on the guys as they started walking towards her.

"My definition of fun is actually celebrating Eid with my whole family and cooking with my cousins, but I'll settle for this."

"You'll settle for what?"

A calculating smile tugged at Milo's lips, his eyes wandering across the two of them. Luca didn't deem them worthy of a glance though, his cold anger flickering with each clenching and unclenching of his fists, as if he was holding himself back from exploding any moment.

"It's nothing," Sahar said, extending her hand towards them," but it's nice to meet you! I'm Sahar, this is Gabriela."

Milo shook her hand, but Luca only looked at her briefly, a frown on his face.

"Are you so childish to ignore us?" Gabriela said coolly," or do you just not know how to act?"

At that he burned, spinning around towards her as he bared his teeth in a snarl. She didn't flinch at all, simply raising an eyebrow at him. Right when he parted his lips to speak, a hand grabbed him by the shoulder, causing him to stop.

"You better calm down right now."

Though Mateo normally was always smiling, there was nothing of that amusement left now. He was quiet lightning now and when he spoke, the electricity was almost palpable in the air.

"Who are you?" Luca snarled, trying to shake Mateo's hand off but failing.

Mateo shook his head, clicking his tongue chastisingly. "I said calm down, you're not listening."

Luca looked like he was about to jump him, but before he could Mateo grabbed him by the back of the head and slammed him against the grass, so fast he couldn't react. For a moment Luca looked stunned, his cheek pressed against the grass, and Mateo crouched down beside him, hand still pressing him down.