40

GABRIELA HAD THOUGHT SHE was imagining it when Mateo's voice fluttered past her in a whisper, but just a moment later Milo pointed up and she was staring right at him. For some reason he was halfway up a tree, Alina right above him as they discussed something, their voices too soft to catch the conversation. One look at the path beside them, where Jay and Sahar were nearing, was enough to tell her why he was here. She always had been able to read Mateo like an open book, so when he spotted her she already knew things were going to go wrong.

He lost his footing and started falling then, though he landed on his feet alright. Gabriela was just about to move closer to check him for injuries, when she spotted the bruises on Alina's arms. The surprise that filled her didn't last long though, because a moment later she could hear Jay confess, Milo gasping beside her.

Sahar was looking genuinely surprised, but it was while looking at Jay that Gabriela thought about how much they had changed. She remembered his scowl and scalding words when he had first arrived, but now all that was left were sincere eyes and a heart on his sleeve. Even his posture had gotten less tense, like the weight of the world had been lifted off his shoulders. She was glad for him.

"Gabriela, are you hearing this?" Milo whispered at her.

Mateo had turned in surprise towards the confession as well, but when he turned back to look at Alina a moment later she was gone. In all the chaos Gabriela hadn't even heard her leave, but she spotted her dark hair on the right as the girl ran through the trees. Just when he was about to follow her Sahar spoke, her voice hesitant.

"I don't know," she said.

Gabriela moved towards Mateo before he even froze, lips parting in shock, but Jay didn't react at all. He only stared at her, a half-smile breaking through as he shook his head. Mateo frowned, glancing at Gabriela, who had her hand on his wrist now.

"Your jokes will kill me one day," Jay said.

"Has he gone insane from the heartbreak?" Mateo whispered.

To be honest, she thought the same, but Sahar's pensive look turned into a wide smile, a bubbly laugh leaving her lips. She threw her arms around Jay's neck, his face as gentle as hers.

"You know me too well," she beamed," of course I want to go out with you, Jae-Soo, you silly goose."

"Jesus Christ," Mateo said, a hand on his heart," she almost gave me a heart attack."

"Why were you more invested than Jay?" Gabriela frowned.

Mateo chuckled, before turning around towards her and pulling her into a brief hug.

"Okay," he said," I'm going to go find Alina right now, but I just want to tell you I love you before I leave."

He pressed a kiss on the top of her head, ready to go when Gabriela stopped him. With a confused glance he turned towards her, but she just shook her head.

"I'm going after her," she said," you can stay with Jay, I'm sure he wants to talk to you after this."

Though he usually would have protested, she wasn't surprised when he nodded. If they had anything together it was trust. Besides, when Penelope was beaten into the hospital by her father Mateo had brought and picked her up in the middle of the night. He knew how close to her heart this was, his expression soft as he pressed a kiss on her forehead.

"I care for her, Nena," he said," no one deserves that, but certainly not Alina. Her life is hard enough."

"I know you're close with Levi," Gabriela said," and it'll be fine. I will make it fine."