44

"YOU DIDN'T ANSWER MY question," Chase said.

"No," Mateo said," the real question is, what are you doing here?"

It would have worked on no one else, but Chase always had been distracted just as easily as Mateo, so all his suspicions disappeared immediately. With a shy smile he gestured at Amelia, before looking back at Mateo.

"Being on my date," he said," we were spending some time here before the movie."

"That's such a cute way to spend time," Sahar smiled.

"We were on a double date here as well," Gabriela said, leaning her hand on Mateo's shoulder," I thought it fun to see how good Mateo would be in these motorcycle games, considering he's the only one of us who actually drives one."

"Tell me you won, Gab," Amelia said.

"There's no way," Chase said confidently," Mateo always beats me easily in this game."

Mateo looked away dramatically, before dipping his head. "I'm afraid I have let you down, Chasey. I have committed a grave err -"

"Yeah, he lost," Gabriela replied.

"You know what they say," Mateo grinned," perfection is boring. I had to give myself some flaws to give the rest of the world a chance."

"Thank you for being so gracious, Mateo," Jay said," I finally feel like I can breathe now."

"You should," Mateo said," you spent the whole game spinning around."

Jay scowled at him, but Sahar happily popped another piece of cotton candy in his mouth before he could say anything. With a huff he crossed his arms, though he clearly wasn't really angry. Just when the conversation lapsed in casual chatter did Gabriela's phone ring and she excused herself, pecking Mateo on the cheek as she headed out. The loud sounds of the arcade were somewhat behind her when she took the call, not having checked who it was yet.

"Hello Gabriela?"

She blinked, surprised at the voice.

"Principal?"

"Yes, sorry for calling," Clarkson said," I'm passing by the town square and Mateo texted me that's where you guys where at. I really hate to trouble you in your free time, but it's about your scholarship."

Her blood froze in her veins, but her voice remained steady. "It doesn't matter, where are you?"

"It's fine," he said," I'll come to you."

It took him five minutes to get to where she was standing outside the arcade and she almost parted her lips when she saw him in shock. He was dressed to the nines for once, completely in black and with his dark curls somewhat tamed, a blush from the chill blooming underneath the dark color of his skin, like flowers beneath the earth.

"Sir," she said.

"Gabriela," he beamed, looking happy to see her," I hope I'm not disturbing you too much."

"Not at all," she said," you wanted to tell me something?"

"Yes," he said," I've been calling to get the papers for your promised transfer ready as you know, but I also have asked a few influential friends to make a recommendation letter. Your grades are good, but I know how people react to the name St Joseph. I want you to know I'll help you as much as I can."

The stone that had sunk in her stomach seemed to dissolve then and she breathed out, feeling like a weight she didn't know she was carrying had lifted off her shoulders, even just a little. She had tried to pretend everything was fine today so as to not worry Mateo too much, but the thought of her future being an unstable one was too much for her. Everything she had envisioned would be in shambles if she didn't get a scholarship, because God knew she couldn't afford the education otherwise. Hearing someone say they would actually help her through that meant the world, even if it was difficult to get the words out.