49

THE NIGHT WAS QUIET, but St Joseph was alive. Lights were flashing from each window of the school, the party somehow bigger than the one at the beginning of the year had been. Mateo had done his best to get everyone to come, though that didn't take much convincing. Gabriela was glad to see him somewhat happier, even if she knew he was sad about Jay leaving. He had told her a bit of the story, about how Jay's father had been manipulative and set some things up leading to their principal's death, but she knew he didn't want to talk about Jay's business behind his back, so he had kept it at a minimum.

She didn't mind. The most important thing was that his laugh resounded through the room when she walked in, that his grin was as goofy as ever and his expression soft as morning light. He was standing at his usual place, in the middle of the crowd, people gathering around him and a slightly disgruntled Jay. Still, he had grown a lot - it seemed like just yesterday that Gabriela remembered him transferring in and picking a fight with everyone in his sight.

"Hey Ruìz!"

Penelope smiled at her as she made her way through the crowd to where Gabriela was waiting for her by the wall. The two cups of liquor she had in her hand were dangerously close to spilling as she held them as high as she could, careful not to get it on anyone. Imani was walking closely behind her, the way she stared enough to deter anyone from saying anything everytime a splash of liquor accidentally got over them. Once they arrived the cups were both almost empty, Penelope looking genuinely surprised at them.

"I thought I managed to keep the most of it in," she frowned.

"You tried, babe," Imani said, inclining to the table of drinks behind the crowd with her head," I can get more, if you want?"

"No, it's fine," Gabriela said as she accepted the glass," you know I don't like to drink that much. Thanks, you two."

Mateo had decided the auditorium would be the best place for a farewell party and so everyone was scattered across the large room, either sprawled out on the seats or playing at the makeshift beerpong tables. She knew this wasn't only a farewell to Jay; the auditorium had always only been used by Clarkson and ever since his passing, it had remained shut. Despite complaints, Mateo never had opened it for their beginning of the year parties, but now here they all were, a sort of melancholy in the old place which sighed with the wind.

It always had been the most beautiful room of St Joseph, with a ceiling made of glass and walls decorated with paintings. At the front stood a stage, for whenever Clarkson had given a speech, but no one even came near it. Mateo didn't even have to say anything, it was common knowledge. There were no rules the delinquents at St Joseph didn't dare to break, but if there had been one person they had respected it had been their principal, and so the stage remained empty, the shadows playing on it almost resembling a person.

"I'm really glad Mateo decided to throw this party," Penelope smiled as they sat down on some chairs, a guy behind them passed out.

Gabriela checked his pulse as she nodded. "It'll do us all much good."

And it would. This was the first time in a long time that she had allowed herself to live in the moment and hell, it felt good. She had spoken with her homeroom teacher today, now the semester was nearly over, and he had told her that the chances of her getting a full scholarship were very close to nihil. Somewhere she knew she had been fooling herself with thinking she would get anywhere with St Joseph on her resume. The feeling was coupled with anger, at herself for not trying hard enough, at the world, at her parents for not being able to afford the full education she wanted. It was immediately followed by shame, because it really wasn't her parents' fault, but it was hard to know where to redirect all the fury to that was wrapping itself around her throat.