1. Pilot

e·nig·ma
/iˈniɡmə/
noun
noun: enigma; plural noun: enigmas
a person or thing that is mysterious, puzzling, or difficult to understand.
- - -

"Jungkook! Oh, it's so good to see you!"

Jungkook hardly has time to breathe once he steps out of his car before being smothered by his mother in a giant hug.

"Look at my little college boy!" His father follows close behind, giving his son a good old pat on the back.

"It's good to be home," Jungkook smiles as he looks at his parents in turn, giving them both a hug together.

"Come inside quickly, I have dinner in the oven and your room is all made up!" His mother smiles at the two before heading back inside. Jungkook and his father take his clothes and other items from his car and into his room before settling down at the table to eat.

Jungkook doesn't even realize how hungry he is until he begins eating his mother's food. Being home gives him a sense of relief he wasn't even aware he needed, but he is very grateful he has it. The features of his parents seem droopy and tired, which was highly unusual for the both of them. They aren't exactly old and they don't tire easy.

"Long day today?" Jungkook chimes in the silence to hopefully get an answer.

"Hm?" His father hums as he takes a swig of his drink. "Oh, yes. Busy and tiring. I worked on the car almost all night yesterday and all day today," he rambles, flashing a smile directed at his wife; she returns it as Jungkook glances at his father's hands.

No signs of grease or callouses? There's no way you can wash grease completely off in that short amount of-

"What have you been up to, Jungkookie?" His mother asks rather quickly. Jungkook lifts his eyes to meet his mother's before replying.

"Just school is all, pretty much. I haven't been doing anything exciting," he chuckles, stretching his arms above his head. "I'm kinda beat from the long drive, though... do you guys mind if I head to bed?"

His two parents exchange a surprised look and answer with a chorus of 'of course!'s and 'go ahead!'s. The brunette gets up and kindly washes his own dinner dishes, tuning in a trained ear to try and hear their hushed conversation.

...have time. He'll fall asleep quickly.

...if he comes down...

it'll be fine.

Jungkook shuts off the water and sets his dishes in the dishwasher, feeling his mouth form an involuntary smile to hide the fact he attempted to eavesdrop.

"Goodnight," he hugs them both in turn and heads towards the stairs, purposely stopping onces he's out of sight, yet still within earshot of the two.

"He's going to find out sooner or later. He's a smart boy."

"He may, but today is not that day. I promise."

A sigh from his mother concludes the conversation and signals Jungkook to creep silently up to his room.

Once he's safely upstairs, he sets his alarm for one o'clock in the morning. He's going to find out whatever they're doing downstairs sooner rather than later.

/\/\//\\//\\///\\\///\\\//\\//\\/\/\

Jungkook's body shakes with a start, jolting himself out of his sleep.

I don't remember my alarm sounding like shattering glass.

His heart drops and his senses slow as a horrific thought dawns on him. Someone is in the house, and they clearly aren't here for a chat with his parents.

Jungkook's actions seem to slow as his adrenaline pumps vigorously throughout his body. He reaches for his phone, turning off the alarm. 11:23pm. After pulling up 'emergency dial' and dialing the numbers 9 and 1, keeping his finger over the 1 digit, he quietly opens his room door.

"Aish, Yeosang, what the fuck?! I SAID KEEP THE GODDAMN CHICKEN LEGS IN THE CAR!"

"Shhh... you don't want to wake anyone else up," the reprimanded male counters through a muffled mouthful of what Jungkook assumes to be chicken.

"There is no one here! Jesus Christ... Seonghwa, take the damn food from him and help me carry the missus out. Jongho, you take Jeon. Wooyoung, mark the place."

Jungkook holds himself back from leaping on the three men carrying his parents. From his spot on the stairs, he can see the group of 8 total men walking in front of his stairs, completely trashing the place. No cup is unsmashed. No plate isn't thrown at the wall. No wall isn't sprayed with red and black spray paint. Jungkook steps into the middle of the hallway, waiting until he hears the front door completely shut. It takes every ounce of his self-control not to cry out at what he just witnessed. His parents were taken right in front of his eyes and their home was completely ransacked; who knew what those guys took? Jungkook slowly steps out from the wall-covered staircase, clicking the 1 digit on his phone. He freezes as his phone suddenly clatters to the ground and his nose and mouth are covered with a strange wet fabric.

"Shh. Just breathe." A strange, deep voice mumbles.

Jungkook's hands immediately fly to his face, attempting to claw off the fabric covering his nose and mouth; his arms are swiftly pinned to his sides by another pair of stronger arms keeping a very tight grip on him.

"Breathe, kid. You're only making it harder for yourself."

Jungkook refuses to listen. He holds his breath as he squirms, shakes and kicks as fiercely as he can. The man holding him pushes his elbow harshly into Jungkook's stomach hard enough to knock the wind out of him. Much to Jungkook's distress, he inhales quickly in order to continue to breathe; he isn't surprised to feel his eyes rolling back and his mind going blurry with near loss of consciousness.

"Lights out."

Fighting to remain conscious for long enough to get a good look around his house, his eyes quickly dart from dish shards to hangul phrases crudely scrawled on his mother's hand-picked wallpaper as he tries to drink it all in. A phrase written in English stands out to him; a phrase that's oddly placed amongst the others about pirate kings and hidden treasures.

"We must going on".