3.5

"I don't see the point. It just doesn't make sense."

"For the last time, Taehyung, it's a matter of trust. If he falls in love with you, he will do anything for you and with you. We can get him to join Ateez with ease and cause the complete downfall of Jax along with Bangtan. And if he won't join us... we'll kill him."

"Doesn't that seem irrational? The whole killing part, I mean."

"Don't tell me you're already getting soft for him. After all, you forced him to inhale chloroform that night and you already agreed for working for us. There shouldn't be any problem here," Hongjoong raises a pierced eyebrow at the other man. He may be younger but his threats are never empty. "You tore him from his family and made him pass out. You shouldn't have any ill-feeling from that. Unless you want to chicken out."

"Did you say chicken?" Yeosang perks up, finally interested in the meeting at hand.

"I didn't say-"

"You kinda did," Taehyung interrupts with pursued lips in an effort to hold back a laugh.

"That's not what I meant! Damn it, Yeosang, just pay attention and get your mind off of food!"

After he hears a huff from two seats away, Taehyung responds. "I'm not going soft for him. I just thought it was an out-of-place request with no good reason behind it."

"Do you doubt my leadership?" Hongjoong runs a finger along the trigger of a gun laying on the table. For security measures, he says, but Taehyung knows it's because he invited an enemy mafia member openly to this meeting. Granted he's considered a double-agent to Bangtan; still, Hongjoong takes no risks.

"I do not. I only doubt your reasoning."

Several small gasps and uncomfortable shifts give Taehyung a flash of pride at his snarky response. A dark chuckle from Hongjoong quickly diminishes the feeling and replaces it with one of anxious nature. The room is thick with suspense.

"That was brave of you, Taehyung. I admire your quick wit. But I'm sure you won't once I cut out that tongue of yours. Do your job and your family lives. Fail to do it, and they fail to live. Easy as ABC. Is that clear, smartass?"

The victim of the threats feels eight pairs of eyes on him, all eager to hear his next response. Obviously, part of Taehyung wants to take another jab. Challenge his authority. Anything to boost his pride. Yet he chooses his response carefully; he finds the risk one he isn't willing to take.

"Transparently."

"Good. Meeting adjourned. Oh, and Taehyung," Hongjoong calls, making his way to his seat and leaning over his shoulder from behind him to whisper, "don't think for a second that I won't kill you along with them."