8

The weekend with the girls leaves me refreshed, and I feel more than ready to face the week. I try to be as quiet as possible as I'm leaving the house to go to my ballet class; Pat is catching up on some sleep because of the late shift she has coming up. I feel bad because Mr. Williams' brother, who insists on being addressed as Ethan, has been making everyone work extra shifts to try and get the business up and again. I wish I could help out, but just thinking about the diner makes me sick.

I get a text from Nathan as I get on the bus, asking if I'm willing to meet up for lunch. I smile and send a 'sure' in reply. My plan is to deal with only good vibes today.

"Sorry, Atalia, but I can't let you dance today," Ms. Bernard tells me as I walk into the studio.

"What?!" I ask, the smile I'd been wearing from home drops. "I'm fine, Ms. Bernard. If I wasn't, the doctor wouldn't have allowed me out of the hospital, and that was more than a week ago."

She shrugs and seats down on the piano bench. I can tell that she's unhappy; she's usually more energetic. "I know how badly you wanted that position and seeing you faint... well, it made me realize that you were pushing yourself too hard, and not putting your health at priority. You know what I tell all my dancers; if I see you compromising your health, then you're getting the boot. This isn't one of those studios were the instructors only care about the glory and not the welfare of the dancers."

"No, no, that wasn't why I fainted, Ms. Bernard," I tell her quickly.

"Are you willing to give me the doctor's report?"

I'm about to tell her 'yes' but I remember what the report would say and I don't know if I want her to know.

What do you think she's going to think when she sees you in a few months?

"Okay, I'll get it to you," I reply soberly, "So can I please dance? Please?"

I give her my saddest face and she eventually gives in, "Fine. But promise not to push yourself too much."

I give her a wide smile and head to the middle of the room.

I take a deep breath and begin to dance. I find myself transferred into a different headspace. I don't forget my troubles, but suddenly, they're not as heavy as they were before. Butterflies rush into my stomach as I lift off the ground, and I feel a surge of energy. I feel renewed.

Ms. Bernard gives me a standing ovation when I'm done. "I really hope you're healthy, Atalia."

"Me too," I grin, panting. "Me, too."

"Do you think they'll give me another chance?" I ask her, sitting on the floor to massage my feet in my shoes.

"I don't know, darling. If they do allow you to audition again, you wouldn't get the lead part."

Remember, Annelise, keep your mind on things above.

I give her a smile that I'm sure turns out as a grimace. "I guess that works," I say through gritted teeth, "Can you please contact them and ask?"

"Okay, I'll see what I can do."

I stand up and give her a peck on the cheek, "Thank you so much."

"Atalia!" she gasps, laughing and cleaning her cheek.

"You know I'm your favorite student, Ms. Bernard," I giggle, running into the changing room. There's another dancer there getting ready for her own private session. If I remember right, her name is something along the lines of Ashley.

"Annelise, hello," she says with a smirk, "I wanted to personally thank you for failing your audition. It was a tad bit dramatic, though, don't you think?"