28

"Thank you," Jocelyn says to me as I help her settle down on the couch. "It's such a relief to be walking, even if it's just down the stairs.

"It's part of your recovery right? For you to try to get more active little by little?" I inquire, carefully fluffing the pillows behind her to help her get more comfortable. She lets out a sigh of relief as she relaxes against them. I sit in the armchair closest to her, ready if anything were to happen.

"I believe so. Everything they were saying was kind of a blur." She starts laughing when she sees the look of shock on my face, placing her hand on her lower abdomen. "I'm joking, Annelise. Yes, it's part of my healing process. If I don't start to move around, I might soon forget how to walk."

"How long do you have to stay like this?"

"Just four more weeks, but I don't want to talk about this anymore. Let's change the subject," she tells me, closing her eyes.

"Uh, what do you want to talk about?" I ask hesitantly; she never seems to want to talk about what's going on with her.

"Richard said you're leaving tomorrow?"

Why couldn't we talk about the weather or something boring like that?

"Yeah, that's the plan. He also offered to drop me off but I turned him down," I say.

"Why? You shouldn't have to travel by yourself, especially not in your condition." She tries to sit up but groans and slumps back down. "I'm serious, Annelise. You're not leaving this house unless Richard takes you."

"Um, okay. Or how about this: I'll go with Richard if you promise to take care of yourself," I respond with a chuckle, "No funny business of trying to sit up or carry anything. Deal?"

"Deal," she says with a bright smile. "But I would do better if you didn't have to leave."

"You and Nicole don't give up, do you?" I ask, shaking my head with a laugh. "Both of you are just trying to be sweet cause I'm actually not needed for anything."

"Annie!" Rachel sings as she skips into the room. She notices her mom and comes to a stop, her face falling. "Where tutu, Annie?" She whispers in my ear.

I mentally facepalm myself as I remember that I didn't take her toy up with me when I carried her to her bedroom last night.

"Tutu is in my room. How about you stay with mummy while I go get him," I tell her with a smile.

She looks at Jocelyn and shakes her head, "Mama's sleeping."

So that's why she was whispering.

"Aww, no Rach. Come sit with me," Jocelyn speaks up, beckoning to her. Rachel looks uncertain at first but she gives in and moves towards her slowly.

I look at them, and a sense of sadness comes over me but I can't place why. I shake it off and head to get her elephant. I find tutu next to the glass ballerina Nicole got me as my going away gift. I pick them both up so I can show it to Rachel and Jocelyn.

I examine both as I walk back to the parlor, a smile plastered on my face.

"Hey, look what Nicole gave me- oh my gosh." I drop the toys and the sound of glass breaking echoes in my head.

Rachel is shaking her mom's shoulders repeating the words 'wake up' but Jocelyn is not responding. She's just lying there, head lolling.

"What happened?" I ask stupidly; Rachel obviously wouldn't be able to give me an answer. I put my hand on her shoulder to stop her frantic movements and offer her a smile, "Go find Gigi, okay? Mummy just fell asleep."