30

Nathan comes in a few times to drop my stuff. He tries to strike up a conversation each time, but I shush him and kick him out. He seems to have had enough the last time because he takes my hand and leads me out of the room.

"What are you doing?" He whisper yells.

"I'm keeping a vigil," I tell him matter-of-factly.

"Wha...?" He scrunches up his face in confusion and I frown at him.

"Is someone sleeping?" I ask, folding my hands in front of me.

"Yes?"

"Am I watching and praying?"

"Well, I know you're watching but-," I give him a look and he rolls his eyes. "Yes, you are."

"Voila," I say, gesturing with my hands.

"I don't speak French, El. I know-"

"What did you just call me?" I ask him, covering my mouth so I don't laugh.

"'El'; I was thinking of nicknames while you were gone and... no?"

"No," I giggle.

He sighs and scratches his head, "Alright, Annelise, I don't speak French, and I know you're in your zone but pity the rest of us. We can't have you and your dad spouting French all over the place."

It's my turn to roll my eyes but I pair it with a smile. "It loosely means 'there you go' or 'there you have it'. Everyone knows that."

"Well, I'm not everyone, now am I?" He says, his eyes going dark.

"You're such a flirt," I laugh, slapping his chest.

He grabs my hand and keeps it there. "Can you feel that?" He moves closer to me, but this time I don't step away. I can feel his heart racing. "This is what you do to me."

Wow, I think, my eyes going wide.

My heart is beating as fast as his, but my face is in a shadow from the setting sun and I'm glad he can't tell how flustered I am.

"Nathan! I was looking for you," my dad yells from behind him.

Nathan abruptly let's go of my hand and turns away. "Oh, Charles, I just came to check up on Annelise," he tells him, the previous emotions gone.

Check up on me? What kind of dumb lie is that? Well, it's not dumb but still.

I step around him and smile at my dad, "Hey, Papa."

I put my hand on Nathan's shoulder but he slithers out of my grip.

What the heck?

I keep my face straight and wave at both of them. "Well, I'm just going to go lie down for a little bit. I'll see you later."

I turn and furrow my brows. What type of reaction was that? Ugh, I don't have energy for this, and I have more important things to think about.

Diana is stretching on her bed when I get back into the room. She looks at me and lets out a dry laugh.

"You know, I thought it was your voice I heard but I was praying it wasn't true," she scoffs.

Ouch, but I definitely deserve that.

She looks at my luggage and gives me a nasty smile. "Have you come to kick me out of your room like you kicked me out of your life? I mean, common courtesy would tell you to just say it. I think words should come before action, what about you?"

I scrunch my nose and shake my head. "Diana-"

"I'm not sure I want to hear anything you have to say, Annelise," she hisses, using my name as a weapon.