32

"Houston, we have a problem," I say as I barge into Pat's room.

Diana and Pat are seated cross-legged on the floor with papers scattered between them.

"That's cute. You guys are actually doing something productive, but I need to talk to you," I tell them, bouncing on the balls of my feet.

"Hey, calm down. What's going on?" Pat asks, dusting herself as she stands up.

"Mayday! SOS! What do I need to say so you'll understand that it's urgent?" I groan. "Come on. Let's go."

"Go where? Why can't you say it here?" Diana says, looking back at the papers.

"Because Nathan's room is down the hall," I whisper. "And I don't need him hearing what I have to say."

They exchange a look of confusion and shake their heads at me.

"Please," I whine, stamping my feet. "This is important."

Pat starts to chuckle but she pulls Diana up. "Okay, baby Ellie, lead the way."

I make a face at her and motion for them to quickly follow me up the stairs. Once we get to the room, I settle on my bed, grabbing a pillow in case I need to cover my face, and they sit on Diana's bed.

"So what's the emergency?" Pat asks with a smirk on her face.

"When is it too early to say I love you?" I ask them, tapping my finger nervously against the pillow.

Diana's face lights up and she starts to laugh, "Did you tell Nathan that you love him?"

"Hey! I'm the one asking the questions here," I say, curling my lip.

"Oh my gosh, did you? Did it just slip out?" Pat joins Diana in laughing, slapping her thigh.

"Guys," I moan. "It's not funny. I need an answer."

Their chuckles die down, and Diana wipes a tear from her eye. "What do I know," she sniffs. "It's not like I've ever had a boyfriend."

We both look at Pat, knowing that she'll most likely be able to give a smart answer.

"Both of you are putting too much pressure on me," she giggles, leaning back and placing Mr. Sniffles on her stomach. "I think one month is too early but at the same time, it all depends on the type of relationship it is. In a purely physical relationship, I wouldn't even trust the guy if he says it after a year, but something like what you and Nathan have, I'm not surprised that you'd love each other."

"I never said I love him," I clip out.

"Well, don't you?"

"I don't know," I groan, pulling the pillow to my face.

"So wait... what was the point of the question?" Diana asks, her voice confused.

"Because Nathan said he loves me and I don't know what to do," I mumble into the pillow.

Silence follows, and I know both of them are thinking of something snarky to say. I take a peek, and Pat is staring at me with a blank expression and an eyebrow raised. Diana, however, is looking at the ceiling in confusion.

"I'm going to take Diana back to studying if you don't answer the question," Pat says. "You're the one that said this was an emergency."

"It is," I reply, sitting up as fast as my belly would allow me. "Ugh, you know how to force these things out of me. Nathan said... those three words."

Why are you acting like a teenager?

They exchange a look and Diana props her head on her hands. "What three words?" She inquires with a glint in her eyes.