29

My body must recognize that it's home because before Richard guides the car up my dad's dirt driveway, I wake up. I stare at the house as it comes into view. The house I haven't seen in five years.

I wonder how much has changed.

"We're here, Annelise," Richard tells me, tapping my shoulder.

"Yeah, I know. I'm awake," I say as I turn to him with a smile that I'm sure looks more like a grimace.

"How about you go see your dad while I offload your stuff," he suggests.

I give him a thumbs up and slowly step out of the car, dreading the moment that's coming next. Someone must have heard the car come in because I hear the porch door open and close as I'm stepping out of the car. I take a deep breath and slowly release it before turning around.

My dad isn't used to getting visitors so I'm not surprised that it's him that steps out of the house. We stare at each other for a few seconds, him in shock and me in apprehension. I move around the car so he can see me in full view and I note the surprise on his face the moment he takes in my figure. It must be too much for him because he uses one of the pillars to balance himself.

Pat exits the house and is at his side in an instant, checking if he's okay. She says something to him but he doesn't respond. He only keeps staring at me. Pat looks in my direction, and her hands cover her mouth. Before I can call out in greeting, she runs back inside.

"Uh, where should I put this?" Richard says from behind me.

I'm about to tell him that he can just leave it since it's only one suitcase, but when I turn there are three suitcases and a couple of bags with him.

"What- what's all this?"

"A gift from my family. We know how expensive baby shopping can be so this is some of the stuff we have. It's mostly girls' stuff from Rachel, but there's some male clothing in there as well and some are unisex. Somethings shouldn't be second hand though, like bottles and car seats, so you'd have to buy that yourself," he tells me, scratching the back of his head.

"Richard, I- thank you. This... I don't have the words," I say with wide eyes. I remember myself and I give him a warm smile, "Can you wait here for a second? I want you to meet my dad, but I have to talk to him alone for a minute."

"Yeah, yeah, of course. Take all the time that you need," he replies with a nod.

Everyone is standing with my dad on the porch when I turn back. Well, everyone but Diana. I, however, don't allow myself to feel too bad because I'm confident that I'll be able to win her over.

Eventually.

I walk towards them, and my dad takes this as a cue to advance towards me as well. Everything seems to be in slow motion even though we're walking at a normal pace.

"Hi, Papa," I say under my breath when we reach each other. I'm ashamed to look him in the eye after all the pain I must have caused so I look at his wrinkled shirt instead.

He wraps his arms around me, but it doesn't last very long because my tummy makes it uncomfortable for both of us.

He lets out a short laugh, "You're pregnant."

"Surprise?" I say, smiling awkwardly.

"I have so many questions, mon cheri, but the most important one: how are you?"

"I... I could be better, to be honest," I admit.

"Well then it's a good thing you're home then," he tells me through a watery smile.