Katie POV

"Mirrrrrrrrandaaaaaaaa." I said. "What am I going to wear?"

"Relax Katie. You'll be fine. It's your soulmate. I'm pretty sure if you show up to that dance in a hoodie and jeans he'll still love you." Miranda sat on my bunk, flipping through a mortal magazine, doing her nails in blue.

"But I want to still look nice. None of these dresses are 'me', as Piper would put it." I grabbed a handful of the frilly, lacy, colorful dresses, and waved them around.

"The Katie Gardner actually wants to look nice for a social event. It's a miracle." Miranda said, looking cup from her nails to raise an eyebrow. I ignored her.

We were in our cabin, after Capture the Flag, which had ended with the Athena cabin winning due to the Demeter cabin having no idea how to plan an attack strategy. We literally told our team to "wing it. We don't know what we're doing." 

Piper came up to me after the game, and handed me a very large box. It was labeled: Dresses for Soulmates Dance-Katie Gardner.

She had said, "Drew was in charge of your dresses. Sorry." as she handed me the box with a sheepish smile. And I had soon found out why.

Most of the dresses in the box were a revolting shade of pink. There was an orange one the color of American cheese, that had frills, and the puffiest skirt. Why the heck would Drew pick out these dresses?!

Miranda added glitter to her nails, "Maybe she still likes Travis."

"I said that out loud didn't I?"

"Yup. Why don't you check the closet to see if there's anything there." She blew on her nails, and looked up at me.

I threw open the closet door, and tore through the clothes. A couple minutes later, I closed my closet door, a stack of dresses in my arms. 

"These are all the dresses I have in my closet." I dumped them on the bed in front of her. I flopped next to her, and leafed through them.

"This one is way too small." I held up a blue one, that I probably wore when I was 6.

"I think Lily would look good in that one." Miranda said, gesturing to my almost 7 year old sister, who was asleep in the bunk next to us.

Rose came in from the attached greenhouse. "Relax Katie. I found this in the greenhouse." she held up the most gorgeous dress I had ever seen.

I took it from her, and held it up to my body. I smiled, it was perfect. I carefully set it down, and stuffed all those terrible dresses back into the box, and crossed off the label with a sharpie. In its place I wrote: Dresses to burn behind the Aphrodite cabin. 

Miranda laughed. I added a couple of my old dresses, like the one that my grandmother could certainly wear better, and the one that had a skirt so puffy you couldn't call it a skirt. 

I set the box down onto the floor, making a mental note to leave it at the doorstep of the Aphrodite cabin tomorrow, and turned my attention to the dress.

"I love it." I smiled, and hung it up in my closet. "But where did it come from?"

"Probably Aphrodite." Rose jumped onto her bunk, and began to read a very thick book.

"I wish you guys could come to the dance. It will be more fun."

"I get to go next year, don't worry."

"I get to go." Rose piped up.

We turned our heads to look at her. "I'm sorry what?" I asked.

"I don't have a tattoo, but my soulmate and I have a special link. Whatever we write on our skin shows up on the other person. It's been happening since birth. It's very rare, we're meeting at the dance tomorrow. I cleared it up with Piper." she didn't look up from her book.We looked at her. "Well, what are you going to wear?" Miranda asked.