Pre-chapter 14

"I am often thought of as being remarkably bright, and yet my brains, more often than not, are busily devising new and interesting ways of bringing my enemies to sudden, gagging, writhing, agonizing death." - Alan Bradley

Imran stood over a stainless steel table where his son lay. Victor's eyes had been swept closed and the blood cleaned off of his skin.

Zakhaev slowly opened his eyes when another man entered the room behind him. Imran looked over his armless shoulder at the sound of his name. "My last Horseman," he murmured.

"I heard about Victor. Is it true that he..?" The man's dual-hued eyes settled past Zakhaev and his mouth drifted closed in a frown. "... I'm sorry, Imran," he said more quietly.

Zakhaev bowed his head in anguish. "Our so-called leaders prostituted us to the west, destroyed our culture, our economies... our honor. Our blood has been spilled on our soil." His voice caught in his throat. "My blood..." he said, brushing his son's cheek with his fingers. "On their hands." The desire for vengeance rattled as a growl in his throat and he gripped the table harder, turning around to fully face the other man. "They are the invaders. All US and British forces will leave Russia immediately... Or suffer the consequences." Imran aimed his gaze at his comrade nearly threateningly. "We cannot fall; the West will pay for the lives they have ripped from us."

"I'll be sure of it, sir," replied the main. "... For Victor."

"Get out of here, Makarov. Do not mock me while I am in anguish."

Makarov's brows curved up sadly. "I wasn't..." Seeing the general bristle, he bit his tongue and nodded. He stopped outside the room and listened; Imran was sobbing quietly beyond the wall. At first, he, too, felt despair; not as much for the dead son as much as the surviving father. He pitied Zakhaev. But his sorrow was then overwritten by hate. The West would pay for this injustice.