Chapter 14: Ultimatum

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."  ~George Orwell

The helicopter ride home was a quiet one. Price said that Zakhaev wouldn't let his son's death go unanswered, but what exactly might that answer be? Talks? A threat? An attack with no warning? The thought of it all left Jessica shaking beside Gaz. 

The Lieutenant didn't make eye contact, but still gently grabbed her hand at her side. "Stop worrying about it; worrying won't solve the problem," he whispered.

"I know," she replied. "But Zakhaev has nukes. What if he decides to add a few million British civilians to the already 30,000 Americans?"

"Worrying about it won't change it if that's his plan."

She was quiet but nodded. He squeezed her hand tighter, feeling that it was cold, and she twined their fingers, relishing in his warmth; if she could have, she would have nestled into him, drinking in whatever comfort he could offer.

That night, Gaz came out from a meeting with Price and walked to his car parked by the barracks. He stopped outside to see Gal walking the path across the street, her figure barely visible against the darkness. He checked the time on his phone and tucked it back into his pocket as he walked toward her.

"Where are you off to?" he asked.

The wolf raised her head and she grinned nervously. "Nowhere in particular. Just walking circles," she said. "What are you up to?"

He put his hands in his pockets. "I was about to go home, but I saw you out here and thought I'd join you."

She laid her ears back and shifted, rolling her shoulder once she was standing in her human shape. "You don't have to come with me. Like I said, I'm just walking circles."

"Walking, or pacing?" he asked.

Jessica folded her arms and looked away. "Alright, so maybe I'm pacing. I'm still nervous."

Gaz stepped in front of her and looked down at her face. "Didn't I tell you that worrying isn't going to make it better?"

"You did," she said. "But that doesn't stop it from still weighing heavy on me. This isn't like waiting for a letter in the mail, we're facing some pretty serious retaliation, a lot of people could die, and it's killing me that we just have to sit here until Zakhaev makes a move; what if it's too late by then?"

She stopped rambling when he slipped his hand behind her jaw and tilted her face up. Gaz's face was mere inches from hers, and his eyes bounced from her eyes to her lips and back up. The look. As she realized what was happening, she froze, her mind suddenly blank before she could think of how to react, and his lips pressed to hers.

He smelled warm and vaguely sweet, and when he pulled her closer, she could feel his heartbeat- wild and fast for his calm demeanor. She put her hands on his gently heaving chest and moved them up to his face just as he parted his mouth from hers and took a breath. "Please stop worrying about things, you're going to drive me crazy..." he murmured, a tired smile pulling at his lips.

"Looks like I already am." Her hands guided him back for another kiss and she smiled at the sound of a pleased murmur in his throat. His hands fell to her waist and gently pulled her against him, safe and sensual. Gaz opened his mouth just enough to allow his tongue to seek refuge in hers, and she gratefully obliged, her own tongue caressing and dancing with his. 

He held her hands and stretched her arms out to the sides before breaking the kiss once more. "You... Are incredible," he whispered. He pressed his forehead against hers with a smile. "So... Where do you stand on coming to my place tonight?"