❤︎

Chapter 4:"coffee and contemplation"

Chapter 4:
"coffee and contemplation"

❤︎

June 4, 1996

"I DON'T REALLY WANT TO do this anymore joe." said lilia, "i mean, i don't even know which hair dye to get. do i bleach it first? i wish i didn't have red hair." "hey hey hey, your hair is beautiful as it is lily. you don't have to change anything and if you do, then i'll support you." jonah replied. "should i dye it?"

jonah stared off to space, imagining lilia with blonde hair. he saw some sort of image, and boy, was that image beautiful. he imagined her hair to be blonde, but not too blonde. like, orange-y yellow, if that makes sense. her right now wasn't too red. it was more orange than red. he loved the way her hair looked like, but he couldn't change her mind.

"yea you should. i think you would look very-" jonah intrrrupted with someone's bitch-y voice. but the two knew the voice right away, sadly. "well well well. look who it is." the two turned around to find, Gretta, the bitchiest girl in town. "what are you doing here gretta?" jonah asked a little rude while stepping in front of lilia, almost like he was defending her. "i'm sorry. am i not supposed to be here? i mean, i do live here too." gretta scoffed. "we d-don't want any t-tr-trouble gretta. p-please l-leave us a-alone." lilia stuttered. jonah knew lilia was scared, due to her stutter. to try comfort her, jonah grabbed her hand gently from behind him and slightly squeezed it, secretly.

gretta chuckled "l-like i g-g-give a sh-shit" gretta mimicked, listen, you little shits. i own this town, so you better get the fuck out of her before i-" "gretta, sweety, can you get something from the back please?" gretta's father, mr. keene, interrupted. gretta rolled her eyes. "you're lucky i got interrupted. you little slut." gretta rudely remarked.

just by that little insult, lilia was on the verge of crying. jonah turned around and noticed. "lily, don't cry. it's okay, we can get hair dye some other time. but for now, let's go and get milkshakes." said jonah, knowing lilia didn't want to go home. lily nodded.

they walked out the door, hand in hand. they always held eachother's hand, as it just a way to comfort the other person. they didn't do it like how couples do.

as they were walking, lily thought about how shitty her life is. She used to have a happy life, a happy family. her mom used to work as a nurse in a local hospital and her dad was a accountant at one of the most successful offices in all of scarsdale. but bad luck struck when her mother was diagnosed with cancer. stage 2 metastic breast cancer, one of the deadliest form of breast cancer. lilia was 9 at the time, too young to loose her mother. but her father made good money, so he was financially stable. but was he mentally stable? no, he was not.

everyday, at two forty-five, lilia would walk to her auntie's house from school, as her father was still at work. lilia would finish her homework at about three fifteen and then play with jonah, because they were neighbors and still best friends. at around four o'clock, lilia would go back home. lilia and her auntie would go and visit her mother. at 7:30 they would go back home, lilia dreaded that part. her father would abuse her, not physically, but emotionally. he would say that she was cause of her mother's sickness or that she was a mistake. but of course, lily went on with her life. she was happy she had a roof over her head.

"what'cha thinking about?" jonah interrupted her train of thought. "oh, uh, nothing. just my life, y'know?" jonah nodded, knowing exactly what she meant. "can we get coffee instead?" lilia asked. "yeah sure." joe started, "coffee and contemplation?" lilia nodded in response.

coffee and contemplation was their way of telling the other person they needed to rant. in this case, lilia wanted to rant about how her life was miserable.

they arrived at their usual coffee shop. it was located on the outskirts of scarsdale, so the shop was rarely crowded, the perfect place to relax. they ordered their usual coffee and sat down in their usual booth. "so, what do you need to talk about?" noah asked, ready for her rant. "why is my life so miserable? what did i ever do wrong?" lilia questioned, tears threatening to fall down at any second, "i always did what was told. i'm always willing to help everyone. but i still get a shitty life." said lilia, finally letting her tears fall down, "i love my mom, why does she have to get this stupid sickness? she doesn't deserve it. and i hate that i can't do anything about it. i'm such a terrible daughter." lilia sobbed.

jonah hated that she thought so badly of herself. "hey listen, you are not a terrible daughter. in fact, you're the best daughter anyone could ask for." said jonah, "but the best people always get the worst punishments. i know you don't deserve any of this. but you will get through it. i love you, lilia, and i hope you know that i will be there for you through anything." "i love you too joe. thank you so much." said lilia as she went in to hug jonah.

~~

the two finished their coffee and started to head back to lilia's house. ever since she turned 13, she was able to go home to her house, instead of her auntie's house.

they reached her house as it started to rain. "oh jonah come inside i don't want you getting sick." said lilia unlocking her door as fast as she could. "no it's okay. i'm right next door." "but what if your mom isn't there? just come inside." "ok fine." they went inside and out their backpacks on the couch. suddenly, the phone in the kitchen started ringing. "hold on, let me go get that." said lilia, jonah nodded. lilia picked up the phone from the wall.

"hello?"

"hi, may i speak to liam martins?"

"sorry he's not here at the moment. but it's lilia martins, his daughter."

"oh hello i need to tell you something"

"i'm sorry, may i know who is speaking?"

"this is heather halloway from st judes hospital and i'm here to tell you that your mother unfortunately passed on."

"o-ok thank you f-for informing me."

❤︎

THE AUTHOR
awww poor lilia 🥺
i've decided to make a part two for this chapter! part two is will be the next chapter!
also thank you guys SO MUCH for all of the support! you guys are literally THE BEST! i love y'all sosososososo SO much! ❤️