FOUR / YOU'RE THE KID WITH THE GUN

"Got nothing left to prove, I'm way too good for you."
Breathing Better Tomine Harket

SHE WASN'T SURE HOW, or even why, but the next morning she ended up at an old friend's family restaurant

SHE WASN'T SURE HOW, or even why, but the next morning she ended up at an old friend's family restaurant. River was visibly sad, and there wasn't any hiding it. She looked distressed, and she still had tears staining her cheeks. Out of every place she could've gone to grab a bite, she chose a place she used to love going to; of course those times changed. River did realize how pathetic she looked sitting alone in a crowded restaurant. A sixteen year old girl, all alone — a girl that had parents who didn't care she even left at all.

"I'm surprised you're here," A familiar voice appeared to her left, Kiara. Of course she works here, it is her restaurant, "Alone."

"Me too," That's when River looked up to her old friend, and Kiara finally noticed the distraught look on the girls face.

A worried look appeared on her face, but within a second it was gone. Kiara didn't necessarily want to admit it, but she still was a human being that cared; and she didn't like seeing anyone this hurt.

"I know you still hate Sarah and I," River felt sicker to her stomach with every word she said, "But, can we please talk?"

Kiara looked back towards her father before she sat down across from River, "For the record, I hate Sarah. Not you. She ditched both of us, you just forgave her."

"And you called the cops," River said before letting a small smile flash on her face.

"I am still working you know," Kiara wouldn't admit it, but she would much rather sit at the small table with River, "What's wrong?"

"I miss you," River folder her hands in her lap, not daring to make eye contact with her.

River heard a faint laugh from Kiara before she said, "You don't miss me, Riv. Just stop. Why are you here?"

River let the tears she had been holding in cascade down her cheeks, "Nobody ever listens to me — nobody ever believes me. Nobody believes me when I say I'm hurting, or when I say I have a shit life. Why? Because I'm a Kook, right? Kooks have it all, don't they? All Kooks must have families that love them. All Kooks have boyfriends that don't treat them like shit."

It was at this moment that River realized who she was talking to, so she got up and left without saying another word. She didn't even try to pay attention to Kiara, who was calling after her. But, clearly, she didn't follow her. Because, now? Now River is wandering around outside, and she doesn't even know exactly where she is.

Incoming call from:  Sarah Cameron :)

"Hey," River answered immediately, just like she always did.

"The weirdest thing just happened," River could hear Sarah laughing on the other end of the line, "But you can't say a peep about it."

"Tell me," River inquired, still wandering down the progressively shadier sheets.