SIX / I GET IT, I'M A PROBLEM

"Me plus me is a problem."
Angels & Demons, jxdn

River could barely drown out the complaints of a 'Kook' being on Pogue territory, and the only person that didn't seem to care was JJ

River could barely drown out the complaints of a 'Kook' being on Pogue territory, and the only person that didn't seem to care was JJ. Which was slightly obvious to River, as she could still remember her last encounter with the blonde haired boy. Her emotions were running high, and the complaining was actually obnoxious at this point. She basically pulling out her hair when she yelled, "I get it, I'm a problem. I'm leaving."

River turned around, not stopping for anyone (mainly the girl that brought her); but it was Kiara following her, it was JJ. He followed her at a slow pace as she walked away from the house, down the empty streets.

"Do you even know where you're going?" JJ shouted after the girl, who was quickening her steps after hearing his voice.

"No," River didn't have to look back to visualize the frustrated scowl on his face, "And I really don't care."

JJ didn't feel like walking behind River for the rest of the day, seeing as he knew what was really going on among their friends; he knew he had to be back soon before his best friend had a fit. According to John B, JJ was an essential part of the mission. Without another thought, JJ ran to catch up to River. He threw his arm around her shoulder, stopping right in front of the girl.

"Get out of my way," River was unamused and JJ knew that for a fact.

There was something weird about River to JJ, and he couldn't explain it at all. He didn't want to use his natural 'JJ' charm on her. He actually wanted to get to know her? It was weird, and he wasn't sure he liked how that felt.

"Then let me come with you," JJ immediately regretted saying that, and he was extremely confused as to why that came out of his mouth. First of all, he just met this girl. Secondly, he knew where he had to be later that day. Truthfully, he couldn't go with her, but he wanted to. Strange.

River laughed, something JJ had never seen before, "No, now move."

"River," JJ gave in to River's wishes, slightly moving aside, "It's not just because you're a Kook, if we can even use that term. Look, I know you're nothing like any Kook I've ever met in my entire life. There are just a lot of things going on between my friends right now."

"Okay," River was looking down at her feet, barely able to make eye contact with JJ, "But I'm still leaving, I can't be in this town right now. Please just respect that."

JJ shook his head, "I can't, River. You should know that."

"You can't? You just met me, JJ." River laughed, tilting her head back slightly.

"I know I just met you," JJ gripped at his hair, "But I can't stop thinking about you."

River regained a serious look in her eyes, facing JJ, "You're kidding?"

"No, I'm not."

—————

River didn't know what she was thinking, but she couldn't stick around any longer. Her conversation with JJ was confusing her beyond belief. Did he actually mean the words he was saying? Why would he say that to someone he just met, someone he barely knows? River could hardly look at any other guy without feeling immediately repulsed anymore, and she couldn't even picture being in another relationship anytime soon. People don't fall in love that quick, that only happens in the movies. People only stay after a speech like that in the movies. But this? This is real life. River wasn't going to stick around for some guy with false promises. She wouldn't stay for some guy who doesn't know a damn thing about her. JJ wanted to know her, but she knew he wouldn't be able to handle it. That's why River left. She left and she didn't look back.

She doesn't want to trust anybody else with what happened to her, she doesn't want to lose anyone else. She doesn't want to feel vulnerable anymore. River would say that's the main reason why she's sitting on a bus right now. And she couldn't help the image of JJ replaying in her mind. Especially seeing his face as he watched her leave. She told him not to worry, she told him she could handle herself. But could she really?