TEN / I'M SORRY

Something felt off moments after her kiss with JJ

Something felt off moments after her kiss with JJ. She had began heading back towards Sarah's house when she felt as if she was being followed. River felt a pit in her stomach, one that was growing faster by the second; it felt as if it could engulf her any minute. She was in Pogue territory, but she had never had these weird feelings while on this side of town. This was the same feeling she had the night Rowen left, the night he died.

Before she could understand what was going on, she heard a loud engine from behind her. When she turned around, she saw that it was approaching her. It was a truck, and it was speeding up as it got closer to River. The truck looked like Mr. Cameron's truck, but there's no reason he would be on this side of town so close to Midsummers. 

River tried to run from the truck, but it ended up being too late. The truck slammed into River's back, sending her flying towards the side of the street. The pain she felt was unbearable, she couldn't feel her legs and it felt as if her spine was ripped out of her body. Her head was spinning, and she could taste blood dripping into her mouth. It felt as if the world was throbbing, and River was being tossed around with every pulsation. She couldn't hear anything, anything that wasn't a loud ringing in her ears. That sound was deafening, and it was disorienting. 

She felt as if death was approaching her, but she knew it would never come. She wasn't that lucky.

River's vision faded to black, and she soon lost consciousness. 

__________

When she woke up, she was in a hospital bed. She wasn't sure how she got there, but she guessed that someone had found her. Her legs were covered in wrappings, and her right leg had a scary brace stretching from her ankle to the top of her thigh. She could feel gauze tight around her torso, along with a small contraption banded around her abdominal area. A massive headache was all she could really feel, and she could hardly see without it feeling as if the room was spinning around her.

"Hi, you're awake," A nurse, with 'RN Jessica' stitched near the top of her scrubs, walked into River's room.

River nodded, feeling nauseas, "What happened?"

"You were in an accident," Jessica was shooting something into her IV, "A store owner called an ambulance after they saw a truck hit you and drive off. You're lucky that someone saw, because you might not have survived otherwise."

"Oh," River looked down, a small tear escaping her eye as the pain was truly unbearable.

"How are you feeling, sweetie?" The nurse was looking down at River, with her hands at the side of the bed.

River wiped the tear off her face, "I'm okay, thanks."

"Okay, dear, let me know if anything changes," Jessica sent her a warm smile, before adding, "Now that you're awake, you have visitors. I'll send them in if that's okay with you."

River only nodded in response, not wanting to talk too much more. 

Moments after the nurse had left, a crying Sarah Cameron ran into her room. She was in her beautiful dress, and she looked like an absolute mess, "Riv, oh my god, I'm so glad that you're okay."

Sarah crushed River in a massive hug, but lucky for River, she missed all the spots that were hurting. Even more confusion piled onto River as Topper walked in the room following Sarah.

River looked to Sarah, and Sarah only shrugged in response.

"You okay?" Topper made his way to the couch on the other side of the room, not once breaking eye contact with River.

"Yeah," River refused to let go of Sarah's hand, for it was protecting her in that moment, "I'm okay. I'm in pain, and I'm confused - but for the most part, I'm fine."

Topper had a weird scowl on his face, and Sarah knew that River noticed it. Sarah shook her head, "He's annoyed because someone else is here to see you."

"Who?" River furrowed her eyebrows, looking at Sarah.

A voice arose from the door, "Me."

River looked past Sarah to see a stressed JJ standing in the doorway. His hair appeared to be a ratty mess, and he looked like he hadn't slept in days. Even though, he looked well-rested and happy just a few hours ago.

Sarah sent a knowing wink to River, "Topper and I are going to run and grab some food. I'll pick you guys up something, too."

Sarah dragged a glaring Topper out of the room, allowing JJ and River to have some time alone together. JJ made his way over to River's bed, sitting on the edge just by her hips.

"Do you remember anything?" JJ grabbed River's handing, looking absolutely defeated.

River leaned up a bit, trying to see if anybody was listening, "I mean, I don't really know. I just - it was weird."

"Remember what I said earlier, River?" JJ looked into River's teary eyes, placing the hand that wasn't attached to hers on her cheek, "I want you to tell me everything."

River sighed, "I could have sworn that the truck that hit me was Sarah's dads truck. I don't know why he would chase me down, or do that. But, I've never seen anyone with the same truck around here. And I don't know why he would be on the opposite side of town. He's like a dad to me, but I'm probably wrong. It was probably some random drunk guy or something."

JJ swallowed hard, and he tensed up a bit, "Your parents aren't coming?"

River shook her head, "Probably not. They probably wish the truck killed me."

"Don't say that," JJ looked like a sad little puppy, one that had just lost their toy under a couch, "I'm glad that you're okay."

Though JJ was happy about River making it out okay, deep down she knew that someone else was not happy about her surviving the attack. River was racking her head, but she couldn't make out any answer as to what was going on. She felt as if she was surrounded by secrets, secrets that would most likely end up killing her.