Polarity Vs Metal

Samuel's POV

"Hey Sam wait for me!" I turned to see Ruby running towards me and the rest of SLVR. We were currently on our way to the arena to watch the remainder of the fights and wait for my fight. "What's up little red?"

"Blake and Weiss don't want to watch any more fights, and Yang is still being Yang." Ruby huffed as a smile slowly inched into her face as she fell into an even pace with us.

"Hi Ruby!" Vi called out with a smile, waving frantically at the girl who was only a few feet away from her. "Hi Viridian!"

"Call me Vi!" I rolled my eyes at their banter, mentally cursing at them for being so loud. Ryan hit my shoulder and pointed to a few empty seats that happened to be next to each other. "I want to sit at the end."

I watched as Lydia took hee seat in the edge, then was Ryan, Vi, Ruby, and I. I took my seat next to Ruby, who was engaged in a conversation with Vi about the best way to dunk a cookie into milk. I let my eyes scan around the arena and hear the loud cheers for the upcoming battles.

I was almost fine until I noticed a familiar head of Emerald sitting slyly in her seat. I stood up quickly, Ruby did the same as we both ran off. I turned a few sharp corners as we made it to a staff wing. "Did you see her too?"

"I did, and I have a feeling Mercury is still here as well." I pushed open the door and walked a few feet into the hallway before hearing the muffled voice of Professor Port. "All right, it's now time to begin the randomization process for our next fight!"

"Mercury?" Ruby aksed, looking in the males direction. Another muffled announcement was heard faintly through the walls. "It looks like our first contender is... Penny Polendina from Atlas..."

"What are you doing?" Ruby continued her light interrogation. I crossed my arms and insticntly reached for Kalamity, cussing when I realized that I had left it at Beacon. "And her opponent will be... Pyrrha Nikos from Beacon!"

"No..." Ruby's eyes go wide as she heard Pyrrah's name being called. "What's the matter Ruby?"

"Ooh, polarity versus metal. That could be bad," Mercury spoke before Ruby had the chance to explain what was happening. It Penny was made out of metal it wouldn't be completely unbelievable. At least, not after the few days I've been having.

I took up a defensive position as I watched Ruby reach for her back, presumably going for the absent Crescent Rose. Across the way Mercury grins and takes a fighting stance.

"Mercury, what are you doing? You were hurt! Why..." She looks down, a look of suspicion and hurt flashed across her face. Mercury just stands there, his hands slightly raised with a smug grin. "Fine. If you're not going to tell me..."

She steps forward and starts running, I also pick up the pace, but Mercury stepped in front of her. He sent a kick in my direction, which I barely had time to catch.

"Fighters, are you ready?" Obleck's announcement rang out, if only he knew the irony of the situation. I scoffed and stepped back a few feet. I nodded over to Ruby who seemed to be slightly out of it. My eyes went back to Mercury who smirked once more. "Showtime."

He goes forward, blocking Ruby's path with his arms outstretched, restraining her movements no matter where she moves. Panicked, she grimaces and spins forward, becoming a blur of red and petals rocketing toward Mercury, only for the villain to kick her twice mid-dash with Talaria and knock her to the ground. "Ruby!"

He advances on her just as she gets out her Scroll, about to push the button to call for help when a bullet sends the device flying out of her hand. "I'm fine."